Looking for drawer handles

jonnykDecember 20, 2006

I've got a "Highboy" dresser with a mirror in the back. One guy said it was a "Bombay Style", but we're not sure. It has 4 drawers and 2 doors that open. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of information about who made it, how old it is, etc. I don't even have a picture to show you right now.

We've refinished it and restored it, but we are missing four drawer handles. We've tried to find similar replacements but have had no luck. Perhaps somebody here could suggest a place where we might be able to find a handle such as this?

Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Keep looking, they are out there...
Cast brass....circa 1880 and after....
When looking the important thing to remember is the distance on center of the screws.
You might be better off looking for a whole set rather than just 2....but I would be happy with a mis matched set as long as all were "of the period".
Linda c

    Bookmark   December 20, 2006 at 8:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Check out Vandykes restoration supply they have a web site at www.vandykes.com . They have many different styles, maybe not exactly like yours, but very close. Even if you have to buy a complete new set, they usually have some of the best prices out there. Also make sure you measure how far each pair of holes are apart on the drawers as Linda has said.

    Bookmark   December 25, 2006 at 10:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Try Horton's Brass (CT) on the web. High quality, lots of styles, American made. Measure your bore size before you order (distance between the posts). Also, Mitchell Brass (DE) and Ball&Ball Hardware (PA)

    Bookmark   December 26, 2006 at 1:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you have had it refinished and restored chances are you decreased any vaule it might have had. For future reference it's better to find out first what you have and it's value as is before you decide on restoring or refinishing it.

    Bookmark   December 30, 2006 at 10:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Liz Hardware in Los Angeles had a store full of period, antique and just plain old hardware-- Knobs, handles, latches, and even old doorknobs and Chandeliers. They also have reproductions and new stuff. It was a walk down memory lane. You can buy on the web as I heard about them from a daughter in law who lives in Northern California and bought her knobs and cabinet handles on the internet from them. I tried to do a link but its LA Hardware Los angeles, or Liz Hardware.

    Bookmark   January 1, 2007 at 11:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for the help everybody, I'll try and see if I can find anything from the sources you listed. This is actually for my grandparents who chose to restore the item in question. They aren't interested in it's value, mostly it's current look and usage. :-)

    Bookmark   January 3, 2007 at 1:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Some of your bigger antique shops.Like Renningers,black Angus in Lancaster.There is a shop with all that stuff in one of them.The shops are about 3 miles apart.

    Bookmark   January 3, 2007 at 1:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Try House of Antique Hardware's website. The link is below.
I did not see your exact one but they have some similar. Their prices are very reasonable so you could always replace all the pulls instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: House of Antique Hardware

    Bookmark   January 12, 2007 at 1:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

This one is from The House of Antique Hardware that looks sort of similar.

    Bookmark   January 12, 2007 at 1:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

www.castmetalparts.com will make any drawer pull you need cheap. If you have one they can make another.

Here is a link that might be useful: That Site

    Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 11:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

One guy said it was a "Bombay Style"

He meant "bombé" (rounded front), not the Indian city.

    Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 1:02PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Copper bowls
Can anyone provide any info relating to these copper...
Cassie- LeBlanc
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
Vase no marks new or old ?
I have this vase with no mark at bottom, it's real...
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™