How do you maintain your tile shower?

imagreenthumbFebruary 4, 2012

We're debating between tile and coni marble for our new walk in shower. I've heard that tile needs to be wiped down after every shower and cleaned often due to the grout. It won't happen in my house! What do you do to keep your tile shower clean??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

We do actually dry the entire shower (white tile and grout) after every use. Initially it was a PITA, but honestly it takes under one minute and the shower has Never needed to be scrubbed, not once in two years.

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 9:43PM
mydreamhome

We squeegee our tiled shower walls & floor--easier & quicker for us than towel drying. We do the walls where they are wet, the bench seat & the floor. Typically, the back wall & side wall are wet on the bottom 36' & the wall the shower head is on is wet from just above the valve controls down, so we're not talking about much. We have not had to scrub at all. Our shower is rather large (4'W x 7'L) and it takes maybe 45 seconds to squeegee. No mold/mildew, no soapscum, & no water spots. Once every week or two I do spray the floor down with Scrubbing Bubbles & rinse with handheld shower spray just to kill any little germies that may be there. We even have our 7 & 17 yr old sons squeegeeing their showers too. At first we got some pushback but we pointed out how nice their showers were and didn't they want to keep them that way. We also made it a game with our 7 yr old in the beginning to see how many water droplets he could squeegee off the walls. Here's our shower--the floor wasn't completely dry when I took the photo so you may see some darker areas of grout--they lighten up as they dry to match the lighter areas n the photo.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 2:03AM
bill_g_web

If you tile, use a grout that resists stains; epoxy is the best but is more difficult to install; a tiler will likely charge more for labor. Laticrete makes a non-epoxy grout called Permacolor that is said to hold up well to residential use. I used epoxy grout and am pleased with the performance.

Silicone caulk holds up much better than other caulks.

BTW, a wetted dryer sheet really does remove water/soap spots from glass.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 11:09AM
More Discussions
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Help me finish designing bathroom
Need a little help and to ask if you think I'm heading...
fourhappy
What do you think about jets and rain shower?
Any body going with or have them already in their shower? DH...
houserookie
Microsilk vs. Air Tub (Jason) OR Bain Ultra
Apologies for the additional thread. I realize there...
divotdiva
White tubs not really white?
For our new build, I have chosen Imperial Blanco white...
mom2sulu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™