Traction Control OFF

buckyJanuary 11, 2010

The traction control system on my 96 Buick has been cutting on and off this winter and has finally quit working altogether. The dash light showing traction control off is now on constantly. The ABS brakes are working fine. The front wheel hubs that contain the electronic ABS sensors were replaced a few years ago. The computer doesn't show a trouble code. Any ideas as to what would cause this problem?

Thanks a lot: Bucky2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_g

Not without initiating diagnostics. The Traction Control system is an integral part of the ABS system. On the surface it would seem odd to lose TCS, and not also lose the ABS. However, the TCS system can be shut down for some problems that are fuel injection system, and/or transmission system related which still allows for the ABS to function. This is one of the potential problems where trying to work with anything less than the factory scan tool (GM Tech II) is likely to not help you at all.

Start the diagnostics by polling EVERY module for trouble codes. An example where the TCS will shut down and still have ABS would be a loss of communication between the ABS controller and the PCM. (fuel injection computer) There are a lot more possibilities over that one.

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 8:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bucky

Thanks john. I didn't think it could be anything simple. Looks like the Riv is on its way to a GM shop. As a matter of interest, my local GM dealership where I bought the Riviera brand spanking new in 96 is now a dadgummed KIA DEALERSHIP!!

Bookmark   January 15, 2010 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L Fire
Hi All, My Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L recently totaled...
mhs21
truck locked up tight
350 in 96 1500 locked up tight. Just driving down the...
timlynn
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Sponsored Products
Interlocking Tile: WeatherTech Garage Flooring TechFloor 12 in. x 12 in.
$3.98 | Home Depot
WATER & DIRT SHIELD ™ Personalized Golf Country Club Mat
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Roll Up Dog Ramp - 18 Link (65"L x 15-1/2"W)
$259.00 | FRONTGATE
Nonslip Stair Tread Mat - Set of Two
$12.99 | zulily
White & Red 16'' Dual-Handle Non-Slip Cutting Board
$11.99 | zulily
Traction Wash Home Cleaning Supplies 5 -gal. Heavy Duty Tile and Grout Cleaner
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™