add shower to tub - any easy way?

try-itFebruary 24, 2012

Hi, I'm considering adding a shower function to an exsisting

tub which is in good condition. I want a single control faucet and as few pieces as possible. If I get into the panel where the faucet "guts" are and run the pipe up behind the wall, is that a huge project? The guts are in

a closet we seldom use - if I have to take out a piece of drywall it's no big deal.

I want a simple small shower with a rain head - I do like the square shapes - any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
try-it

Hi,
From your previous kind advice, I think I need to remove the exsisting tiles which go around the tub and do some real waterproofing. Sorry this is kind of a duplicate post.
If anyone has taken a shortcut and just waterproofed with paint or sealer for a seldom-used shower, I'd love to hear about it.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 3:22PM
Fori is not pleased

A shortcut which probably isn't cheaper would be to get one of the old fashioned full circle curtain rods with a shower holding thingy (think clawfoot tubs). It can be a good look in a vintage style room.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 5:03PM
mongoct

Kerdi membrane can be applied over regular old drywall. Then you tile over the Kerdi.

If you can pop off any existing tiles without totally ruining the drywall...or even if you have to cut the bottom 2' of so of dryall out and patch it...you can then Kerdi over the drywall, then tile over the Kerdi.

It's the only membrane that I know of that is approved by the manufacturer to be used over drywall.

Or you can just cut out all the drywall to roughly 60" above the rim of the tub and patch in 6-mil poly and cement board, then tile. That's be the least expensive option, and it would give you easy access to the framing bays for plumbing.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 6:01PM
More Discussions
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
Trying to reconfigure master bath to include washer dryer
How does this layout look? how could I make this space...
cinnamon01
Master bath remodel - faucet help
I'm trying to decide between a few faucets for my sinks...
melissapta
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™