Steam damage to dishwasher cabinet panel?

achauerFebruary 2, 2014

Has anyone ever experienced damaged to the finish or paint on their dishwasher cabinetry panel? My cabinet maker was encouraging me to stay away from a panel-front dishwasher for that reason, but it may be that his information is inaccurate or outdated. Is it true for some models/styles but not others?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjhockeyfan325

Our cabinet place tried to convince us not to get a panel, but we ignored her. So far we haven't had a problem, but we haven't had it installed long either. We don't notice steam coming out of the top, which is what she was concerned about, so maybe it is model-dependent?

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 7:35PM
geoffrey_b

I think that was a problem - years ago. These guys are way behind the times. If a DW takes a finished panel - then install a finished panel.

If you're worried - check out the DW model, and see where the steam vents.

Our Miele (7 yrs old) has a small vent ( 1.5 x 3 inches) on the front panel which is stainless. It's probably 3" above the panel.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 5:28PM
achauer

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking - I certainly hadn't heard of that problem from anyone else!

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 5:40PM
Cavimum

My experience --- They look great, gorgeous, beautiful, but .....

our house already had the custom cabinet panel on the front of the DW and it looked very nice, matching the cabinets and all. Previous owner chose all that.

When it came time to replace the DW, it was going to be very expensive-to-impossible to find a cabinet maker who could make us a custom panel for the new DW, especially a panel that matched the exact wood grain and stain color including the yellowing that comes with age, etc. (paint color changes with time, also).

For that reason, we did not get a custom cabinet panel for our DW when we completely remodeled our kitchen last year. DWs rarely last beyond 7 - 10 years anymore and we decided to spend the money elsewhere.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 7:48AM
rococogurl

One model of KA seemed to be doing that and it may have been corrected.

Panel on my Miele is 10 y.o. and I love the look and convenience. Since appliances tend to date a kitchen I also feel it helps on that issue.

If the cabinets are new it's easier. In our other place, with a retrofit, I went with the SS panel on the Miele.

The cabinet maker may not be sure of how to do it but the spec sheets for the various dishwashers solve the issue.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 10:23AM
stephpilot

I don't know about panel front dishwasher, but I just renovated my kitchen with all new ikea cabinets and panels last year, also bought a brand new stainless steel frigidaire gallery dishwasher. the dishwasher is at the end of my counter so there is a panel that stands beside it. that panel is now swollen and the paint has cracked blistered, falling off. on the left side of the dishwasher (when looking at it head on) there is a hose that connects thru a vent that fills the tub when starting. well when it runs, steam can also escape thru this vent which caused the panel to swell and blister. I called both companies ikea and frigidaire, they blame each other.

solution i bought a new panel and painted the inside with a oil based paint, hopefully that will work.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
48 INCH DUAL FUEL RANGE OR LP GAS
Planning to purchase the 48 inch- dilemma: any inputs...
hkwan
Help with induction please
I am planning to buy induction when we reno the kitchen....
sherri1058
American Range? Buyer Beware!
It is with big frustration that I am reporting an unacceptable...
foodiefrog
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
Refrigerator Water Valve Leaking
Any idea why the blue cap (see red arrow) on the water...
tslats2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™