intake leak

joe_mnJanuary 18, 2010

96 cadillac seville. changed intake due to leak at blow off flap. bad gasket. put on used intake. new intake gaskets. 6 months later i get a p0171 and p0174 code. bank 1 and 2 lean condition. i checked every vacuum line and hose and pcv valve. brake booster too. nothing seems bad. than i got a code p0131, O2 sensor. think these are related? the plenum is dry. no coolant passages to deal with. the intake gaskets are heavy molded plastic with silicone ribs. almost impossible to put in gaskets wrong. attach gaskets. lower intake. how hard is that? i know the torque is low as i cracked the original intake 2yrs ago. any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_g

Pull the freeze frame data to identify whether the leak occurred at idle or under a load. (Engine RPM PID and Load Pid, you could even use the vehicle speed as part of the reference)

If it occurred at idle, then a vacuum leak could be at play, if it occurred under a load then a vacuum leak is NOT indicated as a cause.

Once you identify under what operating conditions the failure occurred, driving the car though differing conditions (Idle, part throttle, cruise, heavy throttle) and watching how fuel trim is compensating under those different conditions will be an important piece of information. It's not beyond expectations that the problem could still be a random occurrence. If fuel trim isn't making a correction and there are no hard faults causing open loop, then the problem simply might not be there at the moment.

Lastly using VE (volumetric efficiency) calculations against the MAF sensors reading helps to prove if the MAF air sensor isn't reporting the airflow correctly.
You need to do a snapshot and capture engine RPM, MAF in grams/second, and ambient temperature all under wide open throttle and from there I could calculate the reported VE for you.

Bookmark   January 18, 2010 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Radio antenna badly bent at car wash
I know this is going to sound really stupid but what...
africanboy
truck locked up tight
350 in 96 1500 locked up tight. Just driving down the...
timlynn
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
Sponsored Products
MBS 005 Sideboard
| Italy Design
Gardenfall Steel Finish Center Mount Fountain with Light
Lamps Plus
BasAcc 11-pound White Digital Kitchen Scale (Pack of 2)
Overstock.com
Gardenfall Black Oxide 72" High Fountain with Light
Lamps Plus
Zephyr 30W in. Siena Wall Mounted Range Hood - ZSI-E30AS
$799.00 | Hayneedle
Exaco Calypso Planter with Trellis - 1.416WHITE
$97.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™