What can you tell me about this table

javaandjazzDecember 9, 2011

My neighbor is selling her home and some people have asked about buying her furniture and this table is one piece they have been interested in. She thinks her mother purchased the table in the 40's or 50's at a local furniture shop. It's Duncan Phyfe style...right? Maybe mahogany? It's big enough for a dining room table. I can only find a paper inspection tag on it and there is no maker listed. There might be a label under where the leaves are stored in it but I didn't want to take that apart. Anyway, how much do you think she could ask for it? Thanks, Richie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

It reminds me of the Duncan Phyfe table my parents bought in the late 1930s, though theirs was oval and had two pedistals.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 4:37PM
javaandjazz

There are 2 pedestals, I guess one is hiding behind the other.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 4:46PM
lindac

Duncan Phyfe style....mahogany veneer top and probably mahogany pedestal.
She will be doing well to get $100 at a quick sale....might get more if she's not in a hurry to sell. Are tehre more leaves besides the drop leaves? Is the top in good shape? All that weighs on the price.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 4:57PM
calliope

Yes to above. Definitely mainstream in the late thirties, all through the forties and into the early fifties as an answer to a traditional styled dining table one could fit into the smaller homes or homes with no formal dining room. Often had one small fold-in leaf in the middle, sometimes a small drawer on one side. Usually had hardwood pedestals stained to match. Catalogues often sold the table with no chairs or let you choose the chair style you liked best to go with it. IOW not as a set.

Bookmark   December 10, 2011 at 1:14AM
More Discussions
Need Help to ID Native American Jewelry Bracelet
I picked this up at local garage sale and thought it...
devincu
Haviland France Limoge Covered Veg. Bowl
I have a lovely Haviland veggie bowl here but I can't...
Llweyn
Mystery Lamp Company
Hello. I am trying to find out information about the...
debragcar
Need help identifying this lamp.
Please see the picture below. The lamp was originally...
Chuck Wert
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™