220V momentary switch/jamb switch for hair irons in drawers?

marcoloFebruary 22, 2013

This is actually for my kitchen, but if anybody has installed an outlet for a hair dryer or curling iron in a vanity drawer, you may have a manufacturer name I could use.

I'm looking for the equivalent of a closet light switch so that when a door is open, power is available to an appliance, and when the door closes, power goes out. Someone suggested some of you folks may have done this for hair dryers or irons stored in vanities.

Ring a bell? Any names for me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

what you want is called a "momentary switch", specifically a normally open momentary switch, which allows power through unless the button is being pushed, as when the drawer is closed. I've used 240v button switches but they were small electronics items not designed for a load over 3 amps or so, not the 7 to 15 amps a hair dryer or curling iron would need.

    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 7:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

oh, duh, didn't read the heading, you already know what they're called.....

I'd try the big switch and wiring devices companies first like Hubbell, Leviton, Pass & Seymour, etc.

    Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 7:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks. I'll google.

    Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 10:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You have a "220 V" hair dryer?

In the USA?

Most are 120 V, and get there somewhat ridiculous power ratings by assuming 130 V for the supply.

All you need is a 120 V AC switch.

Some are downright small.

If you use a 24 VAC transformer like a furnace and a relay to control the power it gets a low easier to run the control lines and find a small switch.

You are still left with finding flexible cord to get120 V to the drawer though, and a serious problem if anything goes wrong (like a broken switch).

This post was edited by brickeyee on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 13:42

    Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 1:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Some switches I've used are rated for both 120v and 240v - it's just a cutoff that disconnects wires, not something like a dimmer or movement sensor where it would have to be designed differently for different voltage.

I have seen 240v haircare devices in the US, mostly aimed at the salon and barber shop market, to get over the 1800w or 1875w that is the absolute limit for 120v or 125v 15 amp devices, which is what most residential hair dryers use.

In addition to the companies I mentioned earlier, i'd check Lutron.

    Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 4:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

And yeah, I'd try to isolate the switching from the motor/heater so you can use a small low-voltage switch and thin wiring

    Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 4:49PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Minimum size for walk-in shower?
What is the minimum recommended size for a walk in...
suggestions for double vanity between 2 walls
I'm looking for suggestions for a (or pictures of your)...
Quality Pocket Door Frames?
(Please accept my apology for the duplicate post -...
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™