Storage of fabric tabletop runners

linnea56December 29, 2012

I have a lot of runners for the dining room table or buffet. They are in a variety of materials, from old crocheted ones, embroidered linen and cutwork ones, to modern ones of velvet and embroidery. I have only one good place to keep them, which is in the drawers of my buffet, which are deep. I find in getting them out, I often mess up the others. I have started to roll them up on empty paper towel rolls, or gift wrap rolls. They get much less wrinkled that way, and I don't get creases from folding.

But I know that such cardboard rolls are not acid free. Should I cover the rolls with plastic before rolling the runners on? Like slipping it inside a plastic bag? Or is that just as bad, or worse?

I have been thinking about rolling up a linen tablecloth instead of folding it, as well.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

I imagine avoiding folding will help old fabrics because folds eventually wear and tear along fold lines after years of storage. However, I do think plastic emits some chemical fumes, so I imagine rolling them up in acid free paper would be better.

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
W H Grindley Satin White
Can someone help me to identify the pattern? The stamp...
TulipWoolf
Need Help to ID Native American Jewelry Bracelet
I picked this up at local garage sale and thought it...
devincu
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Dones
Need history of "Lister Woodcraft"
Trying to determine if this wooden candlestick is really...
bradleyd_svh
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
beckame
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™