98 Pontiac Grand am problem

angel123January 27, 2007

My Pontiac Grand am se 98 3.5 4 cylinder wants to die out on me when im at a red light, or i put it on stop sign. Then i press the gas pedal and it goes. The needle on the rpm that says 1 it flips up and down to 1 then the needle goes down to 0 like it wants to stop on me. It feels like the fuel is getting cut off, another words when i put my feet on the brake the car wants to stop the rpm needle goes down to 0 then jumps to 1. When im driving it or pressing the gas its fine on the highway. HELP!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jnel

By any chance has the battery been replaced or disconnected lately? My son's 03 Galant had the exact same issue after the battery was replaced. It drove us crazy trying to figure out how to get the computer to relearn the idle. Until we read the owners manual about replacing the battery, that said to let it idle for 10 minutes after reaching operating temp. It worked. This might not be your issue. But I thought I'd use your post to bring to light what can happen when the battery is disconnected. Good luck with it.

Bookmark   January 29, 2007 at 10:44PM
iggie

Your problem is likely being caused by a dirty or defective throttle position sensor. Get a Haynes or Chilton manual, they both will show where sensor is and how to remove it. Many public libraries have complete sets of thede manuals, many times simply cleaning the part will fix things

Bookmark   February 12, 2007 at 2:59AM
blue_fastback

Are you sure about that 3.5 4 cylinder engine? GM made a 3.5 6 cylinder engine not a 4 cylinder. How about a 2.4 4 cylinder or a 3.1 6 cylinder.

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L Fire
Hi All, My Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L recently totaled...
mhs21
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Dying transmission question
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that has served me well...
catherinet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™