Grout Dried too dark

shw001February 5, 2013

I cut out and replaced about 3 feet of cracked sanded grout using the same exact grout and color originally used. However, after 4 days, it dried much darker than the original. (dark beige instead of a sort of antique white) The Custom Building Products technical support says it is because the substrate was too dry, causing the grout to dry to fast, and the only solution is to cut it out and re-do it. Is this a valid explanation?

Since the tile is a very dense porcelain, I did not bother to mist it with water. Also a couple of years ago, I did a smaller repair of about 8-10 inches the same way and it turned out fine. I use Polyblend color 382 (bone) sanded grout.

Thanks for any suggestions. I hate to have to cut it out again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shw001

Update: I did another small test area without misting the substrate. The grout dried seriously darker than what was left in the bucket or what it is in the surrounding tile.

I also called Custom Building Products, the grout manufacturer and a technical support person reviewed my photos and guesses that there is something in the subsurface (thinset of mudpack under the floor tile), such as old soap scum or body oil, that could be leaching into the grout. However, he is not sure. He also said that grout stains are available, but they are not good for shower floors.
Anyone have any ideas or experience with this type of problem?

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 3:35PM
hosenemesis

I find that it is usually just a difference in color in the grout lot. Pro tilers mix all of the dry grout together before an installation to make sure the color is homogenous.
I have the same problem in my bathroom. Same manufacturer, same color on the label, different color on the floor. I don't have any idea how to match it.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 2:09AM
shw001

That was my first thought. However, the leftover grout in the mixing bucket is almost identical to the original color in the rest of the shower. But the same grout in the joint dried substantially darker. Real mystery.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
What do you think about jets and rain shower?
Any body going with or have them already in their shower? DH...
houserookie
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
Replacing The Hideous Blue Bathroom
I started removing the tile from the tub surround....
christina222_gw
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
mother of pearl tile
I'm thinking of doing my master bath with mother of...
berdavids
Sponsored Products
WAC Lighting | QF-LED-173 LEDme Quick Connect Element for Monorail
$153.00 | YLighting
Page Leather Bench - Brighton Ciment Gray
Joybird Furniture
Hand Woven Matador Red Leather (6' Round)
Overstock.com
Amoeba Medium Brown 20" x 36" Scatter Rug
$9.97 | Home Depot
Accent Rug: Bolsward Dark Brown 2' 2" x 3' 3"
$28.99 | Home Depot
Havana Brown Wood Modern Nesting Table Set
Overstock.com
Dark Pine Island Sleigh Bed
$999.99 | zulily
Furniture of America Contempra Padded Accent Chair - IDF-AC6007
$539.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for: