Old Sink

sailfishDecember 5, 2010

We have acquired two old cast iron sinks. It is our intention to install them. We need information on how to care for them. One is 2'X4' and the other is 2'x6'. They are shallow about 6" deep. The surface is raw cast iron, no enameling. I think they were called "black" sinks or "seasoned" sinks. Any experts? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyn427 (zone 7)

They sound very cool, but it seems an odd thing to have a cast iron sink with no sort of finish. I am no expert, but having used cast iron pans for years, I would imagine you would need to oil the sinks or something since they absolutely will rust. Do you have a picture? Are you positive they are cast iron? I have seen zinc or soapstone sinks, but the idea of using cast iron for something that gets wet all the time baffles me.

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 5:57PM
joyce_6333

I agree with Cyn...I would check and see if they're soapstone. I've seen antique soapstone sinks advertised on ebay that are the sizes of your sink. Does it look like any of these?

We had a HUGE double ALBERENE soapstone sink in our basement when we bought this old house. I had no use for it, and I couldn't find anyone to even take the thing away for free. Some antique guy wanted me to pay him to take it. It weighed a ton. Finally DH just broke it up into pieces to get it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Soapstone Sinks

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 7:09PM
jemdandy

The finish may be a black oxide of iron (seasoning) or japaning.

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 2:06AM
sailfish

I'm sure they're cast iron. I kike the black oxide idea. Yes they were called seasoned sinks. I looked on the net and there are lots of places that will do the part in black oxide. I won't send them off till I'm absolutely sure this was the finish. My worries now to shift to the food safety of the product. I notice that the vendors do list this service for the food industry. I'll look up a "Material Safety Data Sheet" to check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 5:03AM
More Discussions
Straw in dining chair cushions-- does this indicate a date?
Hi friends, I just bought a lovely antique dining table...
avaeia
Help with age and materials of chair
I just purchased this chair, used, with the idea of...
mikejillnelson
Name on artwork
I just got this photo today, have you ever hear of...
Dones
Help with print
Have some one seen this name on artwork or know of...
Dones
Sponsored Products
Avanity Provence 49" Single Bathroom Vanity - Antique Cherry
Modern Bathroom
Frezno Olde Bronze Three Light Ceiling Fan
$219.30 | Bellacor
Polished Granite Farmhouse Sink - Chiseled Front
Signature Hardware
2 Day Designs Reclaimed Russian River Cocktail Table - WV107
$570.00 | Hayneedle
Faucets Chrome Waterfall Faucet 12"" H Dark Blue Disk | 13207
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.