Another not very good day

fairegoldDecember 26, 2005

It was a bad day. Mother's white count is even higher, and she's got very localized pain in her back. Doc added another antibiotic, plus the lidocaine patch PLUS morphine. Only the morphine worked. Tomorrow our regular doc will be back, and I think we should talk hospice care. Pain management will be better that way. I visited another nursing home today: the administrator and the director of nrising from the place where Mother was last summer were recruited to this place, which is under new ownership.

Lots of pain today, pretty rough. I look forward to seeing the doctor tomorrow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lasershow

Helene, so sorry to hear these latest developments. The elevated white count would seem to indicate some sort of infection in her body, isn't that correct?

I think you're right to be considering hospice. They are experts in pain management and will ensure that your mother is comfortable. It's also support for YOU, too. What I learned from my mother's hospice nurse is that many people wait too late to seek the help, which is just a shame. There is still such a negative impression of hospice out there, as a "last gasp." I thought it was that way, myself, and when they first mentioned it to me at the nursing home, I was horrified. I'm glad I did it when I did, however, because that hospice nurse was wonderful. I could reach her at any time -- she gave me her home and cell numbers -- and it was much easier and more direct than calling the doctor who was assigned to Mom's care.

Hope you are able to sleep a bit tonight.

Bookmark   December 26, 2005 at 11:53PM
LFPB4

Oh, dear!! For someone as frail as she is, pain management is soooo important. Sometimes I think all the IVs, oxygen tubes, etc. instead of helping, make them so uncomfortable that they do more harm than good. It's a feeling of not being able to move freely, being "restrained" by tubing, that is a little scary to someone that can't quite understand what's going on.
Take care of yourself and rest as much as you can.
PB

Bookmark   December 27, 2005 at 7:50AM
scotland

How is your mom doing today? What did the doctor say? And how are you?

Hospice got my family through the final months of my motherÂs illness. Not only were the hospice nurses well-versed in pain management, but they knew so many ways to make Mother more comfortable. They were also a tremendous source of support for my father.

Bookmark   December 27, 2005 at 12:09PM
compumom

Has anyone heard from Helene? I've been checking in all evening and still no update. I'm worried...

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 2:41AM
derryw

Thinking about you all, Helene. I hope she is getting more comfortable. Hospice was invaluable to us for almost 2 years. It is a very good move on your part. ((Helene)) Derry

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 11:06AM
lasershow

Helene has just posted a new thread.

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
Need some good thoughts
I have been at the KT for many years,and think that...
sandiefl
Practical Christmas gifts
the elderly in our family have all the tee shirts,...
bossyvossy
Live In Caregiver having to give up bed for visiting family
I am a LIVE IN Caregiver for a senior with Alzheimer's....
mangomoon
how do i tell sil i am not taking her dm
MIL lived near us for years and years. She about drove...
caminnc
T'Day
I hope on this day you aren't doing all the prep for...
CA Kate
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™