Help With Bathroom Layout

saw50st8February 6, 2012

We are preparing for our kitchen remodel and will likely have to replace the upstairs bathroom once we open the walls and see the condition of the pipes. Regardless, we are running new piping once the walls are open. Please weigh in on our layout. I have come up with one option: From Upstairs Bathroom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pesenjon

1st layout have very good and in my view you need to go with.

thanks.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 1:07AM
mydreamhome

Proposed layout works great--bigger vanity though. I'd go at least 36" wide if possible.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 9:00AM
saw50st8

mydreamhome, thanks. I will flesh out dimensions once we fully decide to do this.

How deep should the outside closet be? It will be our linen and bathroom overflow storage (extra shampoos and stuff).

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 12:59PM
terriks

Move the toilet closer to the tub and mount the TP holder on the side of the vanity. That will give you a bigger vanity.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 2:51PM
sweeby

I prefer the proposed layout also, though bear in mind that relocating the drain lines may prove to be more expensive that it's worth to you...

Closet depth? You really only need 12" or so, because the stuff in the back tends to be treated like stuff at the back of the fridge. ;-) Pull-out baskets can make the space more useful, but I'd rather have the extra room inside the bath than in the closet.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 5:14PM
kirkhall

I'm with sweeby--no more than 12". And, you might even choose to do a built in cabinet there instead (so as not to waste 4" on the front for door.) Then, you can get the much desired 36"+ vanity.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 11:14PM
saw50st8

We have to replace all the plumbing (the pipes are lead and pretty shot). We are remodeling our kitchen and bathroom below, so the walls will be open. Moving the plumbing will not be very expensive.

12" seems so shallow. We have another linen closet (that we are losing with the kitchen remodel) that is 24" deep I think. Maybe I just don't fold my towels and sheets well :-)

Unless I do a 12" depth closet and then a tall cabinet in the bathroom. Which sounds pretty good to me.

Why is a 36" vanity so coveted? For Storage? (I don't do makeup/beauty products, so its not a huge deal to me, but I would like it to be functional).

I can also move the bathroom door to line up with the closet door. Would that be better spacewise? It would give me more wall space for decorating.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 7:47AM
More Discussions
Small bathroom from scratch - layout help needed
http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/b86dc96a-7c58-42f3-8ba3-408b7c9610f2...
peace_rose
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
Ledges, niches and shelves
In our first remodel, we did niches (don't like them),...
sjhockeyfan325
Did anyone buy a Venetian dual system tub from Costco?
I just came across this tub, looks good on paper. It...
abekker
matching fixtures in the bathroom?? please help!!
OK...we have 2 bathrooms in our house that I am confused...
janealexa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™