About look back question

carrie630December 17, 2011

Basically from what I gather, if you are elderly in your 80s you shouldn't be sending a Xmas check to your grandchildren because those gifts will be considered "spending down?" even if it's only 500 or 1000? What about long distance money gifts when it's too hard to send toys to grand kids?

See, that confuses me

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

It's perfectly reasonable for someone to give a gift. The amount of the gift is considered in an audit, but I think that what you are describing might be okay, unless she gives a $1000 each to 20 grandchildren. If she has a lot of people she gifts, $20 per person may be seen as reasonable.

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 10:08AM
carrie630

if she has two - would 1000 each be okay? Just wondering - but thanks for the good answer

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 10:36AM
sushipup1

Who knows what the auditors would judge reasonable? Does she give $2000 away every Christmas? I'd guess that whatever she's given in the past would be regarded as her normal gift.

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 11:02AM
carrie630

okay - I get it now... thanks

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 11:33AM
agnespuffin

Rules about this will vary from State to State, but generally, there is an upper amount that can be considered a "gift." Any amount above that is looked at closely.

Let's pretend a second or two. The upper limit in the State of Blank is $10,000. Therefore, a gift of 10,000 would pass. $10,000.05 would throw the whole amount into the "look back" amount. If you had given the grandchild that amount every year since birth, you MIGHT be OK, but if this was a once in a life time "gift" you MIGHT be in trouble. A big amount that was given only that one time before entry into a nursing home, would certainly be considered in the "look back" amount.

So much depends on the mood and understanding of the agent/clerk handling the case. Bad night and a hangover, bad for you too.

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 1:49PM
carrie630

Ah ha! So now even though a grandmother can give a grandchild a gift of 13,000 (which is tax free at that amount) it looks "suspicious" because it could be looking like a "spend down" rather than a gift?

Yes, it sure is a tricky situation. You want to give a gift, but then you think - this could look like something else.... Thanks for the information

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 6:35PM
agnespuffin

The trick would be to find out what the limit to a gift would be in your area......if it were 10,000, then give only 9,500.

Also....the time limit. If it's within X number of years, try to plan ahead.

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Just passing some info on.
Maybe this will help someone else. Took us a long time...
cathyid
Sundowning
Please forgive me if this has already been covered...
hoovergal
New to caregivers forum...
Hi, folks... I have been a Gardenweb member for eons,...
junebug1961
Caretaker of a different sort...
Hi all, new to this forum, but not garden web. Reading...
brodyjames_gw
Medicare and Fully Electric Hospital Beds
I have a prescription from my mom's doctor for a fully...
patrice607
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™