Help with vintage metal kitchen cupboard unit

millymooDecember 9, 2009

I've been searching on the net and here for info on vintage free-standing kitchen cupboard units but can't find a pic. or info that is close to what I have at home.

I will try to post a pic of it but for now I wonder if anyone can help me identify a time frame for this piece and any info. you may have about it.

It looks like a hoosier cupboard but in metal-painted off-white. It's very plain and unadorned with possibly 50's-60's handles-shaped like smiles-don't know what else to call it, hee!

The top part of the unit has two shelves and I suspect it once had a sliding plastic 'door' that ran from one end to close at the other-maybe accordion-style? It seems to have a track of some sort that maybe held this door.

Below the shelves is a an open counter space with hooks hanging above it attached to the bottom of the shelf unit-these may have been for coffee cups?

Below the counter are two drawers and below that 2 cupboard doors with 2 levels of shelves inside.

This was in the basement of our 100yr old home-part of the 'summer' kitchen that looks like it was put in in the 50's-so I'm guessing that's the age of this unit.

It had some water damage on the bottom so we restored it and moved it upstairs-put a slab of marble on the counter space and I use it to store my kitchen appliances, gadgets and baking pans.

Can someone provide a link or info. so I can find out more about it?

Thank-you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

I think Hoosier's dated before '50's & 60's I was a kid then & only people I knew with them were elderly people. My aunt's had a door like you are talking about, looked like beadboard I think. The countertop on hers was metal, that was where she made bread every day & rolled out cookies & piecrust. I think the metal was an advantage as it was always "cool' to the touch. My aunt' had flour & sugar bins in bottom lined with tin. they were on 1 side & other side had shelves. I was born in '42 & in 50's only my elderly aunts had Hoosier's, I lived at a lake so I had a lot of neighbor's that invited me in, especially in winter as I was about only kid around, they had the chrome & red or gray Formica kitchen tables but no Hoosier's. Some of relatives had no electricity & you picked up phone & told operator who you wanted to talk to in the small towns. Our town was about 14,000 & we had party lines so we were more modern. Relatives also had pump you primed for water in the kitchen & had to warm water for doing dishes. Outhouses were the norm until mid '60's after I was out of high school. I think people couldn't afford to update as S. Dak. had a personal property tax so if you bought a sofa of foam & wood(about cheapest thing made) for $100 you paid a tax on it each year. Maybe $5 or less ,but every large thing in house was taxed too,nobody could afford it. They have gotten rid of that tax somewhere along the way. It did a lot to keep the poor poor!!Probably why there were Hooiser's in rural areas but not in town among younger families. I also spent a lot of time at 2nd hand furniture store & they had some but don't remember if they sold very well. It was a safe place for me to keep warm so dad could pick me up there when he finally got off work. I think your item is from early 1900's not later than 1930's.

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 9:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

My Grandmother had white metal kitchen cabinets that were put in about 1940 when they bought the house, so it may be 30s-50s, a bit older than you were thinking.

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Help identifying Bowl
I have had this Bowl for some time, i can't seem to...
Dones
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
beckame
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Assistance regarding Lofisa Porcelain
Can anyone shed some light on this piece? I bought...
imaztribabe
help identifying antique table
I found this table at an estate sale for 45 dollars....
moya0311
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™