Is there an advantage to buying an insert liner (Kobe hood)?

wi-sailorgirlFebruary 5, 2013

We're getting a Kobe insert vent hood to go inside a custom wood mantel-style hood that our cabinet maker is building. Currently, and for the foreseeable future, we have a 30-inch dual-fuel Jenn-Air. Although our current range has a downdraft vent, we are installing a traditional overhead vent not only for better performance now but so that we will have more flexibility when it comes time to replace our range. Hopefully that won't be for awhile, but if were choosing today I'd go with professional-type range, a wolf, bluestar, culinarian, viking, etc., still in the 30-inch size.

We are planning on a 38-inch wide mantel hood (for looks more than anything) that we'll put the insert into. Originally my plan was to get the 30-inch Kobe built in, with a stainless liner, that takes the width out to about 34.5 inches.

Now I see that a new 36-inch built-in (750 cfm) is available that is the same width as the 30-inch with a line (don't know why a 36-inch hood is really 34-3/8th inches, but whatever) and actually about an inch less deep.

By the time I buy the 30-inch plus a liner (which I thought would help keep things clean under the larger mantel hood), it's actually MORE than the 36-inch insert alone (there doesn't seem to be a liner option for that one at this time).

Given that the larger insert itself would hopefully protect the underside of the mantel hood as I had hoped the liner would and that general recommendation here is to go a bit larger than the range, it seems like this is an obvious choice to go with the larger 36-inch hood vs. the 30-inch plus liner combo, or am I missing something here?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kobe built-in hoods specs

This post was edited by wi-sailorgirl on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 18:00

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedmeister

I think it is called a 36" hood because it fits inside a 36" cabinet, or should at any rate.

And yes, the 36 built-in would be better in my opinion.

The thing I have with that 'liner' is that it is flat rather than 'trapezoidal' or more funnel-like. If it were shaped more like a funnel, then the smoke/hot gasses would be 'funneled' into the smaller insert. Being flat like that, the rising 'effluent' would just roll off the front into your face and the sides under the adjacent cabinetry.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 12:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wi-sailorgirl

Thanks for the reply, weedmeister. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

BTW, want to come to my house and take care of some weeds come May?

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
Shark Hard Surface Steam CleanerSE3306C steam not coming out of nozzle
Hi, Our Shark Hard Surface Steam Cleaner is heating...
danadevy
Anyone with a double oven range wish they had gone with wall ovens?
My DH thought we'd get a double oven range, but I like...
happyallison
Cook and Dine teppanyaki users
Hi All, I have another thread currently running about...
twobelles
Blue Star grill igniter--is it broken?
My Blue Star grill is becoming finicky when I try to...
nycbluedevil_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™