Trying to identify this stone

barrybudFebruary 16, 2012

Hi, So we were shopping for a vanity top for a bath remodel. Most of the room will be in shades of beige, Ugh, I know. I had to get a pop of color and picked 3X6 Multi-red Onyx as the accent near the top of the shower wall. Armed with that I wanted to get the same stone for the vanity top with a standard white china oval under mount sink. I couldn't find any slabs locally, but we did find this stone. I tried to get more info from the dealer but this is what I was told. It was told that it is quartzite from Iran (I know�) that they called Antique Fashion and it was a very close match to the multi-red onyx samples we had. The white line (not the veins) is the paint markers they use to mark the stone.

Label on the slab

There is a fine mesh on the back

Thanks for any input!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

First, I can tell you it's a resinated stone.

"Resinating": Some natural stones can be delicate when sliced due to myriad flaws in the stone's natural structure. So resin is forced into the stone slab. When it hardens, it reinforces and solidifies the stone, allowing the stone to survive as a thinner slab.

What I can't tell you is if it's a natural stone that's been resinated for added strength, or if the entire thing is an agglomeration of bits and pieces of stone that is then formed into a huge block, flooded with resin, and then once the entire chunk has cured it's sliced into slabs. Meaning the entire thing might be man-made.

With the stone at least being resinated and meshed, I would be concerned about structural strength if it's going to be put into a challenging installation; cantilevered, or large sink cutouts, etc.

Nothing wrong with resinated stone. It has strengths, and it has weaknesses. Just like most other stones.

As to what "geological name" you can pin on that slab...I have no clue. They'll call anything "anything" to help it sell.

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
Turning a kitchen into a bathroom
Hi all. My husband and I bought the condo next door...
amanda8877
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
What do you think about jets and rain shower?
Any body going with or have them already in their shower? DH...
houserookie
Does this look like fake or real marble to you ?
Would a whole floor of this material look like real...
lillo
Cultured Marble vs onyx collection vs solid surface shower pan
1st off, I am a long time lurker in these forums and...
dmsohio
Sponsored Products
Real Flame Torrence Cinder Stone Gel Cast Fireplace
Overstock.com
Campania International Square Cast Stone Pedestal For Urns and Statues - PD-32-A
$439.99 | Hayneedle
Brown Stone Outdoor Wall 1-Light Fluorescent
PLFixtures
Dauphine Tissue Cover
$179.00 | FRONTGATE
Tri Cable Organizer in White
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Turner Leather Sectional - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Henri Studio Relic Fumato Pina Cascada Valencia Fountain
Lamps Plus
Bianca 72" Wall-Mounted Single Bathroom Vanity - Zebrawood