Need ideas for christmas

mikeandbarbDecember 3, 2008

At the nursing home they are having a christmas party. We are to bring one present for loved ones to open. My problem is that my dad doesn't want for anything.

I was thinking of giving him a light throw to put on his bed if he want's to lie down he can use it to cover with and putting together some pictures for his room.

With the pictures is it best to leave out old family members that have past on? I would think it would only be upsetting for him. He misses them dearly.

Thank you, Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

Yeah, I wouldn't give him photos of past-on loved ones. It would make anyone blue. Maybe you can find some family pictures of when his kids were young. That cheers up my Mom a lot. She calls pictures of us 4 kids her "rogues' gallery". She has them hanging in the living room. DH says I was very cute when I was little, I had curly blonde hair, now brown with gray!

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 6:20PM
mikeandbarb

I was wondering about my childhood pictures but wasn't sure. I was a toe head LOL nearly white they said. Now I too have dark brown with lot's of gray, getting to be more gray than brown.

Thank you, Barb

Bookmark   December 4, 2008 at 8:28AM
agnespuffin

Early picutres of the family would be great! Get an album so that he can sit and look and think about the good times. Maybe you could find some of him when he was little.

Does he like dogs and cats? Make up a selection of cute animal pictures too. I always get a big lift when I see a cute puppy picture. The Internet is full of great ones. Of course, if he never cared much for pets, it would mean little to him.....just a passing thought.

Bookmark   December 4, 2008 at 12:18PM
mikeandbarb

He loves animals. I was thinking of letting his great grandkids buy hima stuff animal cat or dog to take him.

I don't want him to be sad so I want to be careful at how a put the pictures together.

Barb

Bookmark   December 4, 2008 at 12:28PM
ogoopogo

Great idea Barb for the great grand kids!! My Dad had a sweet tooth so I always got him a small box of Rose Bud chocolates ( HIS FAV ). Throw is always nice for them as well.

Sounds like you're on the right track! Are you feeling better? I remember you were right wiped out..

Kathy

Bookmark   December 4, 2008 at 12:52PM
sissyfran

Give him a current picture of you and the grandkids.
I do that with my Mom. I love the idea of a throw. Does he have a favorite sports team? There are some folks where my Mom is who are the local university fanatics. They have sweatshirts, pennants, throws, hats, etc for the team. One lady dresses in the school colors for every football and basketball game. The throw on her lap has the school mascot.

Bookmark   December 4, 2008 at 1:09PM
agnespuffin

If you do decide to fix up an album of the family, take time to identify each picture. Such as, who it is, when was his birthday, and where the piciture was taken. Something like "SueAnn on her 5th birthday, April 20. She was born on 4-20-63 to John and Mary Doe.

Make the print easy to read. Give yourself plenty of room. This sort of album will also help when and if the memory gets fuzzy. It's confusing to all of us when we see a young face and can't recall the occasion.

Bookmark   December 4, 2008 at 10:23PM
mikeandbarb

Great ideas everyone. I was thinking of just putting pictures in a large frame but maybe a small brag book would be nice also. It's not like there are many of us.

My grand daughter is into sports and I have a picture of her in her valley ball uniform. My grand son has started doing any sports yet he's in the 3rd grade.

My grand daughter reminds dad of my mom.

Dad like sweetest but gave them up cause he gained to much weight. He does like cake without icying.

Bookmark   December 5, 2008 at 1:18AM
jannie

My Dad has been in heaven since 1998. I used to buy him his favorite snacks as gifts, chocolate covered raisins and dried apricots. Wish I could give him some now.

Bookmark   December 5, 2008 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
Information on chair stairlifts
My husband is 90 and we are wanting to have our tub...
lucienalta
Mom fell 3 times in 2 weeks
My 90 y.o. mother lives in the independent side of...
patrice607
incessant throat clearing
Ok, I feel guilty even posting this, but I am desperate...
coolbeansw
Need some good thoughts
I have been at the KT for many years,and think that...
sandiefl
Mom with dementia upset about move
Hi everyone, My 83 year old mother was diagnosed with...
netty_73
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™