Would a Thermador and KA kitchen be an odd combination?

ck_squaredFebruary 17, 2013

I have been investigating appliances for months now, researching the pros and cons of many of them both online and in-person. I think I've narrowed it down but am wondering if combining Thermador with KitchenAid appliances would be odd?

If you have any experience with any of these, please comment, good or bad. And feel free to give alternatives if you have any.

Here are my choices:
Rangetop: Thermador 36" gas rangetop PCG366G
Double ovens: KA Architect Series KEBS209B
Microwave drawer: Thermador MD24JS
Fridge: 42" Thermador SxS KBUIT42
Dishwasher: KA Superba Architect Series KUDE48FX

Plus Zephyr hood and possibly an Electrolux beverage center.

Any opinions on my 5 main appliances?

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gooster

You probably already considered this, but if you are really set on that rangetop, getting the ovens would give you a free DW. That one is made by Bosch and in general is well regarded. (Miele seems to be a favorite here, but I've owned several Boschs). Adding the refrigerator gets you a hood as well.

I considered a mix of KA and Therm, with a Sharp MW drawer. The KA pro handles and the Therm pro handles are a pretty good style match.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 1:06PM
jellytoast

I agree with gooster in that if the appliances have handles, selecting those that have like styles (ie. all pro-style handles) gives a more unified look.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 2:14PM
xedos

Better check into the KA dishwasher reliability and safety issues along with some recent oven woes when self cleaning.

Pay particular attention to how KA handles/ handled these um...issues.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 3:39PM
Mur12506851

I'm doing something similar: KitchenAid refrigerator, DW, and double wall ovens; Thermador gas cooktop; Vent-a-Hood hood.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 9:21PM
graelea

Thanks to all who posted. In past homes, we've had Meile ovens/dishwasher and SZ/Wolf fridge, cooktop and oven, but in our temporary rental place, I've made some great meals using new basic Maytag models. So, I'm thinking that saving a bit of money will still give me lots to play with in the kitchen. I'm looking at either all Thermador, all KA, or a combination of the two, thinking that it's a compromise among functionality, looks and durability. The 36" freezer-bottom Thermador fridge is appealing, but would a KA store my food just as well? It's a toss-up between the 36" Thermador induction or gas cooktop, as I really like to cook--I've always cooked using gas before. The wall oven would be the same brand as the cooktop as it is going underneath. As for the dishwasher, Thermador has the promotion on, giving me a free dishwasher and hood fan if I go with everything. I just can't decide. The promotions are a bit like shopping for a mattress: comparisons are almost impossible.

My question is for those who have responded: which models did you end up purchasing and how have they worked so far?

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 1:14PM
graelea

Thanks to all who posted. In past homes, we've had Meile ovens/dishwasher and SZ/Wolf fridge, cooktop and oven, but in our temporary rental place, I've made some great meals using new basic Maytag models. So, I'm thinking that saving a bit of money will still give me lots to play with in the kitchen. I'm looking at either all Thermador, all KA, or a combination of the two, thinking that it's a compromise among functionality, looks and durability. The 36" freezer-bottom Thermador fridge is appealing, but would a KA store my food just as well? It's a toss-up between the 36" Thermador induction or gas cooktop, as I really like to cook--I've always cooked using gas before. The wall oven would be the same brand as the cooktop as it is going underneath. As for the dishwasher, Thermador has the promotion on, giving me a free dishwasher and hood fan if I go with everything. I just can't decide. The promotions are a bit like shopping for a mattress: comparisons are almost impossible.

My question is for those who have responded: which models did you end up purchasing and how have they worked so far?

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
smallest microwave (width) ever ? Please advise
I'm looking for the smallest microwave in terms of...
Pippin
Noxious new oven smell ??
Our new Electrolux wave-touch double oven is wonderful,...
infohound2006
do we like capital ranges
capital ranges ?
Jen & Scott Lehr
Does Wolf M-Series Double Oven come with Temperature Probe?
If yes, great. If not, does anyone know how much the...
wcutiew
New Bluestar RCS model - Any Info? (RCS366BV2)
Most of the 36" RCS models are RCS36IRV1 right...
kwest2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™