Size of Patio

DoubleOhHoyaJanuary 31, 2012

Building a higher end custom home in the south. We're really up against it on the budget, so have been trying to cut. Current patio size is about 16' x 20'. We have a built-in grill and sink on one end that take up about 3', reducing the usable space to about 16' x 17'. What do people think about this size? I think I may be able to increase the size for not much, and this obviously isn't something that can be addressed later. We have a large back yard, so plenty of room to expand.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mojomom

It depends on how you plan to use the space, but I suspect that if the incremental cost isn't too high you will be happier if you add a few feet. This is particularly true if you want both dining and seating areas. Think of it as a room and draw a furniture plan. Be sure to leave aisle room between the separate areas, enough push back space for dining chairs, and a clear passageway from the door to the backyard.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 8:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pps7

Agree that if you want both dinng and seating you will need a little more space. in addition to the 3' occupied by the grill/ sink you will need about 3' aisle work space. A dining table will take up about 9' minimum and you will want at least about 8' for seating. So you're at 23'. You may get away on going a little shallower to 14', depends on where the doors are and traffic flow.

Our covered patio is 20'x 20', with and additional 8x8' cooking area bump-out. we have a small dining table , sectional sofa, and porch swing, and extra floor space for our son to play.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 8:49PM
More Discussions
Would you give this to the architect - take 2?
I posted a floor plan last week to get input before...
boonieshome
Are these doors acceptable to you?
These are walnut interior doors. I understand that...
pumpkinhouse
Sending my floor plan modifications to the architect. Ideas?
I have to have all my structural changes decided by...
houserookie
Frank Betz Kensington Park - opinions and any pictures please!
In the Air Force, thinking about building the Kensington...
dnasmith14
Can I get a closet in/next to an 8'x8' ensuite bath?
I have 8'x8' inside the walls for a bath, and I'd like...
edwardshome
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™