Pedestal tub vs Clawfoot

krayersFebruary 14, 2012

We are about to begin the remodel of our master bathroom which involves replacing both the tub & shower. The room is not huge so we're choosing to go with a freestanding tub. I'm having trouble deciding between a pedestal base or a clawfoot tub. Do any of you with pedestal base tubs have issues with cleaning between the base and the wall?

Another concern is longevity. I really want this to be my one and only bath remodel. I know clawfoot tubs have been around forever, but pedestals are newer. Do you think they will be a trend that might soon go out of style?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andreadeg

I had the same struggle and went with a pedestal because I could find the optimal size for my bathroom in a pedestal but not a clawfoot tub. No regrests on my choice, and I don't have a challenge cleaning behind the pedestal tub. Some people I've read don't like cleaning under their clawfoot tubs but i don't think would have minded that.

The question of longevity is a good one. I don't have an answer for you on that.

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 3:45PM
krayers

Thanks andreadeg - Could you tell me how close your tub is to the wall? I won't have a lot of space between the tub & wall to leave a gap.

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 4:19PM
lazypup

I don't know who told you that pedastal tubs are new, but they were grossly in error when they did...our pedastal tub was installed in 1921 and still works and looks fine.

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 5:45PM
andreadeg

My tub is about 14 inches from the wall. If it was any closer to the wall it would be challenging to clean behind. However, I find that not alot of dirt and dust collects behind the tub (or maybe I'm just choosing to ignore it!)

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 6:18PM
krayers

I'm afraid I don't have that much space to spare. May have to regroup & figure out another plan. I could put the water supply on the end. Just don't like the look as well for the alcove space I have.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
Seeking Skirted Toilet with Good "Water Spot"
I am replacing an old toilet that was one of the early-generation...
sahmmy_gw
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
Bertch 60" single bowl vanity for hall bath
I would appreciate some advice and insight on my dilemma....
Sofia Akhter
Very Cool - New Porcelanosa Luxury Vinyl Tiles
I would love this for my walls too! And the website...
numbersjunkie
if studs are 16' apart, can i have a 24' medicine cab recessed?
can the builder recess a medicine cabinet wider than...
srg215
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™