Should I buy Wolf 36" electric oven floor model?

JAM_SFFebruary 17, 2013

I am just about to order my cabinets which includes keeping a perfectly fine Thermador 30" convection oven, but it is almost 9 yrs old. Budget was the main concern, I was going to purchase a new 36" Thermador gas cooktop to go above it, and my cabinet maker set it up so that it looks fine.
I just saw a floor model of the 36" Wolf electric oven (L series, I presume since E is only made in 30") on final sale closeout for 2699.00. I know this is a steal, but it was not in my budget.
My concern is that I completely remodel my kitchen and then my 30" oven goes out and I will spend $$ repairing it.
Would you splurge and switch to the Wolf 36" oven, and I could switch my cooktop to the Wolf 36" gas. This will be the only oven in my kitchen, and I do use my oven regularly.
Many thanks for your opinions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dodge59

I would take the time to read the posts about the "Recent" chipping problems with the porcelain used in the Wolf ovens, before making any decision!

Gary

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 6:40PM
JAM_SF

I have read those, but am not sure how widespread the problem is and I don't really bake any higher than 425-450. I also read that Wolf replaced those ovens, so that would be more than satisfactory to me if that were to happen, but I do understand the concerns.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 6:43PM
kalapointer

I just rented a condo in Kauai with a Wolf 36" L series wall oven and the interior was chipping in the front corners. Also a 36" oven takes longer to preheat. Just something to think about.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:49PM
JAM_SF

Thanks for that input, very helpful....Would any of you be concerned about how old my thermador oven is (even though I"m happy with it) and whether it might break right after remodel? What do repairs cost on a 30" oven? If it was 500, that would be fine. I would be very bummed if it was over 1K and I passed up an oppty to get a brand new oven.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:53PM
More Discussions
24" refrigerator. Liebherr, Fagor, LG, etc?
We live in Boston. We are in the market for 24"....
ttkogi
36 Inch Wolf Range and Fridge
I'm looking at range's for my wife's soon to be kitchen...
amexblackg5
Capital Range Customer Service
Mostly people write on the internet forums, such as...
willinak
Double Gaggeneau Oven vs. Single with Microwave/Convection
We are in the middle of remodeling our kitchen. I...
C C
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™