Why the cost difference between the built-in and OTR advantium?

mpg2004February 18, 2014

Hi,

I currently have a microwave built in to the cabinet above my single wall oven. I'm contemplating replacing the microwave with an advantium, but I'm confused why the OTR versions cost about half what the built-in versions do. What is the difference between these that leads to the cost difference? I see that the door swing is different (side to side for the OTR version and like a mini oven door in the built-in version) but is that the only difference between them? What am I missing?

thanks!
Michelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cookncarpenter

The trim kit required for a built in adds a lot. For my Viking, which is made by Sharp, the trim kit was more than half again as much as the MW alone... :(

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 5:33PM
hvtech42

I've always wondered about the the same about built-in appliances. Bare bones freestanding ranges start at under $400, slide ins start at around $1000. Basic wall ovens start at around $800, so you are actually getting less functionality for twice the cost of a basic range. I guess they figure people who have kitchens that accommodate these appliances can afford it?

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 6:03PM
weedmeister

The Advantium wall oven is not just a microwave with a trim kit. It is built as an oven.

But I can't explain the $1000 difference either.

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 9:28PM
powermuffin

The Advantium is a speed oven, warming oven, and microwave. You can bake in it - do everything that a traditional oven does except broil. I have one because I didn't have room for both a mw and a second oven. I am very pleased with it. I use it to bake muffins, corn bread, bake potatoes, casseroles, etc. I also use it to keep food warm; it will take quite a large ceramic dish. And my husband uses the microwave function. I think people that don't have one, do not realize that the microwave function is not the technology that the bake/speed oven uses - they are completely different functions. It is ridiculously overpriced but no more ridiculous than a second oven.
Diane

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
Fhiaba column refrigerator freezer anyone?
Has anyone seen these in person or have in their kitchen?...
Dietitian
Buy 2 individual wall ovens or one 2 oven wall unit?
Hi - I'm looking for appliances for a house we will...
oaptechgirl
How much Hood CFM to get for Wolf's 6-Burner Rangetop?
Let's say I use all 6 burners at once sometimes (not...
wcutiew
Need feedback on KOBE Range Hood
Hello! I'm looking at buying a KOBE range hood. The...
bblakeney
Griddle for Induction... HELP!
I did a search and read some old posts but is there...
2LittleFishies
Sponsored Products
Kartell | E' Pendant Light
$125.00 | YLighting
Mia Satin Nickel Halogen Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and Honey Glass
$238.50 | Bellacor
Home Decorators Area Rug: ConstantIne Sage 7' 6" x 9' 6"
Home Depot
Moe's Home Collection Mountain Teak Transitional Bookcase - Natural - EC-1015-24
$392.00 | Hayneedle
Florence Style Loft Wool Armchair in Orange Tweed
$489.00 | LexMod
Perennial Tub Mat - ASH ( LT GRAY) (BATH MAT)
$50.00 | Horchow
Newgate small barbican wall clock 12"
Origin Crafts
Aurora Accent Lamp by Fire Farm
$166.50 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™