Antique Canteen

avenutianNovember 2, 2010

I bought this canteen at an estate sale. The person I bought it from didn't know much about it except that it is old.

It's a beautiful piece, handmade leather strap with decorative punch out desighns.

The canteen has some kind of fur, it's pretty soft, I don't know what kind of animal it's from. The guy I bought it from said beaver, but I think he was guessing.

The inside of the canteen is wood. It looks like something you'd see in a museum.

I am having a yard sale this weekend and I was going to try an sell it, but since I have no idea what it's worth, I'm afraid I'll cheat myself.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be worth? What era it's from? I looked online and a lot of the wooden canteens were from the mid to late 1800's. Although I didn't see any as pretty and fancy as this one. I'm new to this site and I don't see a way to post pictures, if there is a way could someone tell me? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Not a clue without a picture....but remember any appraisal you get here is worth just about what you pay.
But I am wondering how a canteen, by definition meant to hold water be made from wood and fur?
Linda C

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 8:38AM
tasymo

If you google "wooden canteen" you'll find plenty of examples. Why not wood, Linda? Casks and barrels were made to hold liquids all the time. I imagine the fur is decorative, or perhaps for insulation.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 2:54PM
tasymo

You can use a photo hosting website like Tinypic or Flickr to obtain an url to paste in the "optional link URL" box, or if you have a facebook account, upload you pic to that, right click on the full sized image and click on "properties" at the bottom of the menu. Then copy and paste the url from that to the above mentioned box. I'd like to see a pic of your canteen. It sounds cool!

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 4:04PM
maryland_irisman

Many older canteens were made of wood and even gourds and skins. They were covered with fur and also with cloth. That covering was very functional. The entire canteen would be filled and the outer covering was soaked with water also. The water in the covering would evaporate taking heat with it thus causing the water inside the canteen to get very cool. This is known as an open refrigeration cycle which any Refrigeration 101 student is taught.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
Walnut Art Nouvaux Sideboard Advice Needed
Howdy, First post from a long-time lurker. We purchased...
markwingalls
Home Design Show in NYC
click to win tickets http://www.architecturaldigest.com/win-adhds-tickets...
ami1026
Not sure what it is
Would like to restore this piece. Not sure of the age...
Hanna
Vintage oil painting
I need help with name on oil painting, I think it's...
Dones
Help with age and materials of chair
I just purchased this chair, used, with the idea of...
mikejillnelson
Sponsored Products
Freejack LED Ventana Pendant
Lightology
Antica Farmacista Prosecco Diffuser & Candle Set
$119.00 | FRONTGATE
Arteriors Home - Ice Faceted Large Amber Pendant - DK42048
Great Furniture Deal
Persia I Pendant by CX Design
$550.00 | Lumens
City Club 8 Drawer Dresser - STAN2683
Hayneedle