The Brother and legal documents

fairegoldNovember 9, 2005

OK, the younger nice brother is successor POA and executor, etc, after me. But now I am thinking---if something happens to me, would he come and help Mother? Remember that I used all those medical forms, etc last summer when she was in the hospital and nursing home. I can't think that I can trust this brother be there when he is needed, certainly not in his current condition.

So, if we re-do the paperwork, who do I choose? The other brothers are out of the question. Only other person who lives close by and who is family is my cousin, but her Mother was Dad's sister, not on Mother's side of the family. And she travels a LOT. But I trust her completely.

So the only other person I can think of is my husband, who Mother trusts and would approve of. Is it possible to have someone like a SIL as POA/medical/executor? Or if you go outside "family" is there anything else I should think about?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Logfrog

Remember that some people have no blood relatives. They must go outside of the family if they want to draw up a POA or something similar. Your husband would be the ideal person as he would be knowledgeable about her and her needs. Of course, a lawyer needs to draw up all the papers. I think you are right about your brother, it doesn't seem likely that he would be available should something unexpected happened to you. Also, check with your bank to see what they need. Often the usual POA is not enough.

Bookmark   November 9, 2005 at 9:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momj47

I would think your husband would be the logical choice (though your brothers might object), but he knows you and your mother very well, and she loves and trusts him.

When I worked at the Retirement Community, we had residents who had no family; their lawyers, bankers, ministers, distant neices and nephews, etc. had POA, paid all the bills, made all the decisions. It happens.

Good luck.

Bookmark   November 9, 2005 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
how do i tell sil i am not taking her dm
MIL lived near us for years and years. She about drove...
caminnc
trouble getting in and out of bed
My 90 year old 4'10" arthritic Mom is getting...
patrice607
Any suggestions for boosting energy?
My 90 year old mom is still pretty sharp but she is...
patrice607
Lack of Social Graces
My Mother with middle stages Dementia has developed...
hoovergal
Nutritious Meals for 86 year old
Greetings--DH and I just moved DH mom in with us as...
patty2430
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™