Who installed your modernaire, gagg, Miele

gwloloFebruary 1, 2013

I am trying to figure out which appliances need professional installers and which ones can be handled my electrician, GC, plumber etc.

Modernaire hood - just the hood between cabinets. Ducting and the external vent already done. Do I need to pay $400 to the modernaire rep recommended installers?

FPdishdrawer
Miele dishwasher (paneled)
Miele refrigerator (paneled)
SZ freezer drawers (paneled)
GE warming drawer (paneled)
Gagg steam combi oven
Gagg convection oven
Gagg induction
Gagg woktop

One appliance place recommended by the local gagg distributor wants $1800 to install the whole lot. This is in northern California San Jose area. Does this sound right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

Watch whoever installs the FP dishdrawer. I've had bad luck and had to reinstall too many.

Guy who delivered it--bad install and I had to redo it. GC after we remodeled and kept the newish DD--bad install but the cabinetmaker fixed it when he put the panels on. Real Plumber who was replacing the pipes--bad install, banged it so hard he ended up paying me for cabinet damage and a new circuit board. 18 year old kid sent by FP to replace the board and used his iPhone for a level? He was good.

That DD went through alot.

When we moved and got a new DD, I just passed on having it installed and put it in myself to skip the middle step of having someone who wouldn't read instructions install it.

Some of those appliances are persnickety (DDs are not, although lining up panels can be.) and I'd be tempted to go with whatever install provides the better warranty. The hood though? I'd let the GC do it.

Wait a minute...my GC screwed that up too. He refused to read the instructions...

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 8:57PM
redoingit

GC installed miele paneled dw and gagg combi. He is also a licensed plumber and his electrician helped. Fortunately I didn't have to pay by the hour, as he read everything here and is super picky! I would pay for the factory trained installers in the future since they "normally" offer some how-to's if they are familiar with the product.

Good luck....you've got some nice things to have fun with!

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 1:28AM
marthavila

GC installed the Modernaire hood, duct work and external vent; certified Miele tech installed the DW. BTW, the Miele tech ended up damaging the custom panel upon install! (Of course, his insurance paid for the replacement panel.)

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
Getting the most out of Miele Masterchef?
Probably a dumb question... There are a lot of different...
schicksal
Finish Detergent
Has anyone tried the new Finish Quantum Max 12X pacs?...
sparky823
How much Hood CFM to get for Wolf's 6-Burner Rangetop?
Let's say I use all 6 burners at once sometimes (not...
wcutiew
Magnetic SS Refrigerator
My wife and I keep going back and forth on the issue...
greasetrap
Hood Decision - Zephyr vs Kobe
I need to make a decision on a hood to put over a 36"...
michfbgal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™