Thank you to all you forum angels

toomuchglassNovember 12, 2007

Thank you for letting me read all of your stories , feeling your pain and sharing in your strength. It's my turn to make the terrible decision to put my FIL in a home. I'm 53, FIL has been living with DH & I for 4 years. He's 91 now. I had a " meltdown " last week and told DH I can't do this anymore. ( Needless to say - I'm not a popular person around here lately.) I'm putting my mental health first . I've been on antidepressants for over 10 years now .So between Menopause and depression , I feel myself slipping. I Called a social worker today - I didn't even care who - I just needed to talk. She gave me a really nice pep talk . Boy , this sure is hard isn't it ? I Don't know how I'm going to explain it to FIL ....

but it has to be. Stay strong everyone . ((Hugs))

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shambo

Toomuch, you certainly are right when you say, "...this sure is hard..." There is never a perfect solution and always so many things to consider. You can only make decisions based on what you think will be best for both you and your loved one. There will always be some second guessing involved -- wondering if you made the right decision, wondering if you were too selfish, etc. But, in the end, you just do the best you can given the circumstances you are facing.

Everyone's situation is a bit different, but the folks on this forum have a lot of experience, knowledge, empathy, & encouragement to share.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 6:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mariend

You have been thru too much and 10 years on anti depressents is not good. Your DH should back you not his father (Money involved? guilt?) You did the right thing.
I could not, did not do it when my folks were alive, but they knew that. By the way, who is going to take care of DH, if you completly break down?
Toughlove
Hugs for you.

Bookmark   November 16, 2007 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
Ordering From Canada
My experience is they would quote a 16 day delivery...
mxyplux
Starting small biz concierge services for senior
Need some help here. I am staring a part-time business...
mangomoon
Lack of Social Graces
My Mother with middle stages Dementia has developed...
hoovergal
Caretaker of a different sort...
Hi all, new to this forum, but not garden web. Reading...
brodyjames_gw
Medicare and Fully Electric Hospital Beds
I have a prescription from my mom's doctor for a fully...
patrice607
Sponsored Products
TRIBECCA HOME Fairytale Victorian Princess White Twin-size Bed and Nightstand
Overstock.com
VIGO Stainless Steel Pull-Out Kitchen Faucet with Soap Dispenser
Overstock.com
Zephyr 42W in. Cypress Outdoor Wall Mounted Range Hood - AK7842ASX
Hayneedle
Winston Belvedere Cushion Sofa
LuxeDecor
Commercial Electric Under Cabinet Lighting 8 ft. LED Color Changing Flexible
$46.97 | Home Depot