did it but still not sure

brenaNovember 3, 2005

Hi everyone, as I posted before have been wrestling with putting Mom in a home, well not too long after the post Moms uterus fell and I took her to hospital..They kept her three days and I put her in a home..They cant address the falling uterus till her mind is more eased for she has been combative, not sleeping and not eating since the 31st. I feel I could do a better job of calming her down and I know I could get her to eat, but I think shes trying to shut down cause she has an idea of whats going on, now Im having second thoughts to bring her home..I feel like Im killing her! My family and her Dr. says no, it is just the next stage and deep inside I know its not gonna get any better but how do you get rid of guilt? Yesterday she didnt even know who I was..Please pray for her to get peace in her mind, Im just sooooo confused.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Logfrog

Please don't confuse "guilt" with what you are feeling. It's only natural that you feel "regret" and "sorrow" that you don't have the magic to make her better. No one does. You can't change what's happening. It's so very hard to know that no matter what you do, she will continue her journey.

Bookmark   November 3, 2005 at 5:53PM
ogoopogo

Brena she's in her own world now & I WISH I could say it will all get better.. But sweetie it won't..Reread your post back on Janelovesjeasus thread.. * she's starting to harm herself & YOUR household*

Wise ladies @ local homecare told me when she is harming OTHERS and/or HERSELF it will be time to move onto the next level aka nursing home..

The nursing home is trained & has the resources to deal with your Mom.. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT beat yourself up over this.. This is part of her journey & the circle of life..

Post lots here for support YOU are making the RIGHT decision!!!!! * cyber hugs*

Bookmark   November 3, 2005 at 7:10PM
scotland1

DonÂt assume that putting your mom in a home is whatÂs caused her mental decline. A trip to the hospital is sometimes so traumatic for the elderly that it causes a permanent setback. If your mom didnÂt know you yesterday, she also might not realize where she is. Caring for your mother was already putting so much stress on you and your household that you were on the brink of finding her alternative living arrangements. Caring for her will be even more difficult now. Give everyone a chance to adjust to this new situation.

As for the guilt? Geez, I struggle with that constantly. But I try to remember that I am a daughter, mother, wife and employee. Striking a balance means compromise, and I regret everything I decide wonÂt happen. But I canÂt do everything, and one of the hardest decisions was that my father couldnÂt live with us. He demands a lot of attention, and I donÂt spend any time with my small children or DH while DaddyÂs visiting. But itÂs hard, and Daddy doesnÂt make it any easier. Take comfort in knowing youÂre not alone. Your mom is one piece of a larger puzzle, and the pieces go where they must to make the puzzle work.

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Ordering From Canada
My experience is they would quote a 16 day delivery...
mxyplux
Information on chair stairlifts
My husband is 90 and we are wanting to have our tub...
lucienalta
Severe dementia in several weeks
This is my first post to Caregivers. I'm not comfortable...
Roodles123
Do you ever have a day that just goes well?
Today was one of those days. I was at mom's to get...
junebug1961
RX Relief Discount Card
I phoned the number on the card and the recorded greeting...
Grampy_Mark
Sponsored Products
Selkirk 2-Light Wall Sconce by Hudson Valley Lighting
$386.00 | Lumens
Glomar Ceiling Mounted Lighting 2-Light Flush-Mount Polished Brass Dome Fixture
$39.99 | Home Depot
Heritage Assorted Tumblers 6-Piece Set
$300.00 | Horchow
Ren-Wil MT1177 Portrait Stafford Small Mirror in Silver Leaf & Black
Beyond Stores
Pagoda blue/green placemats (set of 4)
Origin Crafts
Home Decorators Area Rug: Inspiration Pumpkin 8' x 11'
Home Depot
nuLOOM Handmade Modern Chevron Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Hudson Valley Tate 19 3/4" High Aged Brass Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™