a 'Whats it?'

pudgederNovember 13, 2010

This is a puzzlement.

It has a HUGE rolling pin w/peg on the end that fits in a hole. This allows the pin to roll out SOMETHING in this tray. The center line is a groove/crevice about 1/2" deep. At then... narrow end of the table, there's a hole... as if "juice" would be squeezed out of of whatever is rolled and then drains out the hole. BUT the table isn't tilted for gravity to pull the liquid out.

And then there's the beautiful little trough for resting the rolling pin in.

This was at an auction, I didn't purchase it but no one could figure out what it is.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That is a "head scratcher". My guesses are:

1. A peanut masher for making crunchy peanut butter.

2. Nut meat masher.

3. Fruit masher for making jams.

4. A grain masher to prepare grain for making fermented beverages.

    Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 3:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have seen one....but trying to remember....the best I can come up with is a crusher for sorghum stalks to make syrup.
I have seen a demo of making sorghum syrup and that may be where I have seen that thing.

    Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 9:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Found it! It's a butter worker!

Here is a link that might be useful: Butter Worker

    Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 10:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The groove is a failed glue joint between planks, not part of the drain system.

    Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 10:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It may have been modified by cutting the legs to make the tray level, or mounted on a table base, because the ones I remember were tilted. You put a bucket under the hole to catch the buttermilk, and just roll back and forth over the butter. It's way easier than doing it with the paddles.

Something similar can be used to press the lard out of cracklins when you have scooped and drained all you can.

    Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 11:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

No, the groove is NOT a failed glue joint between planks.
That is the way it was made.

Lazygardens, that may be true. Otherwise the buttermilk would pool.

    Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 11:20PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Ruby cut to clear bowl set - help with identification
A while ago I bought this set of four ruby glass bowls...
Mystery Lamp Company
Hello. I am trying to find out information about the...
Any Idea what this item could be?
Simply put I have zero idea what this could be, It...
Three crown stamp on fork: Swedish or U.S.?
Any idea on the age or authenticity of this brass fork...
Need help identifying this lamp.
Please see the picture below. The lamp was originally...
Chuck Wert
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™