What are the proper names for these Victorian light fixtures?

jlc102482November 16, 2010

This is a photo of a chandelier in the parlor of a local house museum (house is circa 1880 if I recall correctly).

I want to buy similar light fixtures for my own old home. I am especially obsessed with the chandelier. :) However, I don't know the proper term for either of these light fixtures, so I'm having trouble searching for any to buy. The chandelier looks Eastlake, and the other light looks like an oil lamp maybe, but that's all I know. Can anyone help with proper names?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
    Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 9:19PM
lazy_gardens

It's vaguely eastlake style chandileier. Is the bust attached to the light?

The oil lamp is a "pull down" light or "pulley light". You could snag it, pull it down to light it, and push it back up.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 9:54AM
palimpsest

The first one is a Neo-Grec gasolier circa 1870s-1880s. Rejuvenation Lighting currently produces a similar one oritinally made by Hollings.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 10:43AM
newdawn1895

The first chandy looks like a Eastlake for sure. If Linda C. chimes in, she may know.

Here is a picture of my cousins house using a chandy similiar to the second one. I think it looks good in a country kitchen.

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 9:46AM
newdawn1895

The one above is brass and of course yours is made of wrought iron. I would call the second one a Lantern chandy, but not sure of the proper name.

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 10:02AM
palimpsest

Rejuvenations Neo-Grec chandelier. Neo-Grec is a specific style that was a later, victorianized version of the earlier Greek Revival. It is differentiated somewhat from Eastlake by the presence of classical elements such as the figures on your piece, but since it was essentially contemporary to Eastlake there are similarities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 10:12AM
newdawn1895

Pal, you certainly know what your talking about. Your a good source of information.

.....Jane

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 12:50PM
sombreuil_mongrel

If there are stylized palmettes/anthemions, it's neo-grec. Good catch palimpsest.
Casey

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 8:17PM
lindac

The kerosine lamp in the linked picture appears to be missing the pulley mechanism and the smoke bell....but..I guess I would call it a hanging kerosine lamp.
Linda C

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 9:37PM
palimpsest

A bit off topic about your first piece specifically, but here is a Greek Revival-Late Federal (as opposed to Neo-Grec) chandelier. 1800-1820 ish.

And here is a c. 1845 solar lamp from the Greek Revival period

And here is the sibling to yours again:

This is an earlier Argand Lamp where function was still trumping ornament a bit, because the technology was so new c. 1830

I think you can see an evolution between the chandelier, the solar lamp, and the Neo-Grec gasolier, in particular.

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 10:23AM
lindac

It also might be well to point out that the gas...as in natural gas...fueled chandelieres are always hung by a pipe that the gas can run through...never a chain or a thin wire sort of thing.And the gas fueled lights always have a petcock which can turn on or off the gas supply.
Linda C

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 12:55PM
palimpsest

True, and this is where many reproductions drop the ball: a natural gas fixture hung by chains. The solar lamp and argand lamp above are hung by chains because these are oil lamps or kerosene lamps that were fed only from the central reservior. I don't know how long that solar lamp would have burned before needing a refill.

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 5:41PM
igloochic

The other lamp you are trying to figure out is a library lamp. It held a reservoir of oil (not gas) and while some could be pulled down, most were not. They were common in a less well to do house. (a larger home would have had a more spectacular fixture).

They come in many different colors, from ruby to opal to painted glass shades.

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 12:39AM
More Discussions
help identifying antique table
I found this table at an estate sale for 45 dollars....
moya0311
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
Vase no marks new or old ?
I have this vase with no mark at bottom, it's real...
Dones
Three crown stamp on fork: Swedish or U.S.?
Any idea on the age or authenticity of this brass fork...
bradleyd_svh
Need Help to ID Native American Jewelry Bracelet
I picked this up at local garage sale and thought it...
devincu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™