Stamped Colored Asphalt

MichelleDTJanuary 24, 2012

Ok - paving experts...what are your thoughts on stamped colored asphalt? We just stumbled on several sites and they look amazing and from what we have read, can be a fraction of the cost of colored stamped concrete.

We have stamped color concrete now and have to seal it every fall...we also don't like the shiny finish. From our initial research, seems the asphalt may be less maintenance.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sidney4

I'm not an expert but our builder ran the idea of stamped colored asphalt as an option for our driveway by us at one point. The pictures from the brochures and web site looked great. Our builder did a little more research and decided that the driveways of some of the homes in the area that had used stamped asphalt didn't look so great after a couple of years.

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 10:41AM
DrivewaysDr

Stamped asphalt is a great option for driveways. As for cost it is usually around half the cost of real brick pavers, and a third less than stamped concrete. This of course depending on your specific driveway project. So it is the least expensive decorative option in terms of cost.

As for maintenance you do not need to reseal it like you do with your stamped concrete. You stamp and coat it once and that's it. No resealing or recoating every couple of years. That is unless you want to. And stamped asphalt doesn't have that shiny finish you don't like. But make sure you get stamped asphalt with quality and the right coatings, and not just some "paint". The proper stamped asphalt coatings add to the less maintenance you were talking about. Best of luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Driveway Impressions specializes in stamped asphalt

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 4:33PM
MichelleDT

@drivewaysDr

Thanks for the response. From everything I have read it looks to be a viable solution. We are forcing the issue as I would rather spend the extra $$'s on the inside of the home.

M

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Ole cahaba brick-henry brick
Anyone using ole cahaba brick? If so what mortar colors...
barroberts
Floorplan advice
We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids ages 3 and 10...
Butternut
Building a shed with living quarters
We are planning to have a shed built on our property...
cricket5050
Floorplan Feedback-I think we're getting close!
This is the upstairs. The office in the lower corner...
edwardshome
Mitch Ginn Elberton Way photos and feedback?
We have chosen Southern Living's Elberton Way to build...
karakell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™