old washboard

bowlmanNovember 29, 2010

I have never seen one like this have you ? Dated 1899

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Ceramic...pottery....stoneware....or wood?

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 9:11PM
bowlman

Yes it is wood. Came from an auction that had mostley german antiques. The best I can come up with is it Pennsylvania Dutch/German but I have never seen one like it.

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 9:25PM
lindac

I have seen German/Dutch wooden wash boards. The story I have heard is that they were often a gift a man gave to his betrothed....
Hmm...will you marry me honey? Here's a wash board. LOL!

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 11:57PM
bowlman

Thats funny.

Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 10:21AM
jemdandy

An all-wood washboard was not very practical, but was pressed into use by pioneers because it was that or nothing else. The wood ripples will wear down. Later washboards used a wooden frame and a galvanized (zinc coated) steel ripple plate. Hand operated washing machines incorproated curved washboards using essentially the same design as a straight washbosrd.

If you know the area from whence your board came from, then contact a museum in that area that specalizes in early home equipment. They may be able to help with identification.

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 2:22AM
calliope

LOL Linda.....yes, I can believe that. My second husband gave me a garbage can and a rifle for Christmas one year. Very romantic......but actually I needed both.

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 10:12AM
lindac

Small wash boards were used for dainty personal stuff.
I remember my mother had a small glass washboard...glass set into a wooden frame. It lived in the cupboard under the bathroom sink, and washed things that were too dainty to go into the Thor, or be sent to the laundry.

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 10:18AM
lazypup

I have a lot of good friends in the Amish Community and to this day it is still their custom that during courtship young men will make a number of kitchen & household utensils as gifts for their betrothed.

Now on the subject of washboards. My grandmother had a wooden washboard such as the one shown here, which she kept in her bedroom. On washday one of us boys had to take a couple buckets of hot water into the bedroom where she would hand wash what she referred to as her "Delicates & unmentionables", which were then hung to dry on a line in her bedroom because a lady never hung her delicates on a line in public view.

Caliope, funny you should mention the garbage can & rifle.
One year on Mothers day weekend I was out in the driveway mounting a new outboard motor on my boat when my wifes nosey GF drove in. The GF asked me, What did you get Bev for Mothers Day?
Without looking up I replied, this here outboard motor.
"What kind of a Mothers day gift is that", she asked?
I replied, "Not that its any of your business, but I thought it was rather thoughtful, this year when we go fishing she won't have to row the boat!"

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 3:29AM
More Discussions
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
debodun
help identifying antique table
I found this table at an estate sale for 45 dollars....
moya0311
Help Identifying Cushman Furniture
I have a small Cushman cabinet, it appears that it...
cpannetti
Three crown stamp on fork: Swedish or U.S.?
Any idea on the age or authenticity of this brass fork...
bradleyd_svh
Japanese Floral Calendar Plate Collection by Hamilton
I was given a set of 12 Japanese Chokin plates by a...
alygal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™