Fil with dementia and hallucinations makes rude comments

marti8aOctober 11, 2011

He is in a nursing home, and I have no idea what he says when we aren't there, but I have a feeling he is saying rude things, politically incorrect things, and racist comments to the staff.

I assume they have been trained to ignore it, but what, if anything should we say when we are there?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

The staff will understand. Yes, it's hardest for you to get used to it. You can ask the social worker at the NH for a few moments in private and express your concerns there. Or do you have a branch of the Alzheimer's Association near you? There is always someone to talk to, if you look around.

You need to express yourself. The staff deals with this all the time, but it's awfully hard for us families to deal with it.

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 12:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

It's very common. The staff is trained to hear such things but not react. My uncle started spewing very racist sayings in the last year of his life. He lived at home and his dear wife took care of him. I visited once and we chatted. He used the N word several times and was very angry.I didn't argue (which I would have if he was my age and in good health). My cousins apologized to me for his rude behavior. I know it goes with the territory.

Bookmark   November 23, 2011 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
Do you ever have a day that just goes well?
Today was one of those days. I was at mom's to get...
junebug1961
Missing
It was on the kitchen sink last night right after dinner...
mxyplx
how do i tell sil i am not taking her dm
MIL lived near us for years and years. She about drove...
caminnc
trouble getting in and out of bed
My 90 year old 4'10" arthritic Mom is getting...
patrice607
New to caregivers forum...
Hi, folks... I have been a Gardenweb member for eons,...
junebug1961
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™