Gas burner remaining warm hours after operation- normal?

olivesmomFebruary 8, 2013

As I was cleaning my kitchen today I noticed that the burner on my range was warm. I could feel the heat when I passed my hand over it. The grate was warm to the touch and the burner itself was too hot to touch. The burner had been used about four hours earlier when I made breakfast.

The knob was not turned on in any way. The was no flame. I cannot smell any gas. I turned the burner back on and it operates normally.

This is a seven year old, GE profile, sealed burner gas range.

Is this normal? I never noticed anything like it before. I am confused though, as to how the burner could be so hot when there was no visible flame. I find it hard to believe that the burner could still retain that much heat from four hours earlier.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weissman

Very strange - my burners cool down within 10 minutes or so. Could someone else have used the burner without you realizing it? You don't have a pilot light, do you?

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 6:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jwvideo

Was the oven on, by any chance? Some gas ovens vent through or around a rear burner and that can make the burner and grate pretty hot. DR if the GE Profiles did this, but thought I'd ask. Otherwise, I second what Weissman said.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Replacing slide in range with range top
Would like to remove current stove/oven and install...
itsmekelli
Need Advice on Best Gas Range/Cooktop for Short Person
I will be getting either a new gas cooktop or a dual-fuel...
yaupon
New Bertazzoni Induction Range?
I just saw a press release from Bertazzoni about a...
ltislander
Daily Luxury Convenience (Combi Steam) vs. Tried & True Dbl Oven
I asked questions about the steam oven last month....
lawjedi
36" Rangetop & Wall Ovens vs. 48" Range
Our current kitchen plans call for a 36" rangetop...
greasetrap
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™