Wheelchair advice

chris11895October 13, 2013

Hi,
My Father is in a wheelchair and when he visits our house with hardwood floors we need to remove all of our area rugs otherwise he can't get over them. I'm wondering if this is because of the wheels or is this a limitation with all wheelchairs? If anyone has any advice or recommendations for a wheelchair that can work around this I would love to hear about it. He's over all of the time and I know he feels like a burden when we have to take all of the rugs up.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Does his wheelchair only have 4 small wheels, so he needs someone to push him? Generally large wheels navigate obstacles better. My experience isn't with wheelchairs but with walkers --- the small wheels aren't good for uneven surfaces.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 10:35PM
CA Kate

I agree, it's the small wheels that are the problem with rugs - or barriers of any kind. We have no loose rugs anywhere.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 12:48PM
sunnyca_gw

Dad's had large wheels(just 2 of them) very large as he could grab the 1 part & push himself around, rugs on carpet or sometimes on kitchen floor were a problem, I often had to push him over the "hump" as he couldn't push hard enough. mom would not remove the rugs. In Ca. that is 1st thing they want you to change- not at their house!! So we struggled.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 2:55AM
mawheel

My husband uses a wheelchair in our house most of the time, b/c he can't walk much and tires easily. A few years ago, we had laminate flooring installed in our family room and a year after that in our living/dining room. We still had a couple of 5x7 rugs where he didn't need to use the wheelchair--under the dining room table and coffee table. We still had carpet in the bedrooms and it was hard for him to navigate over the carpet to the bathroom, plus it was very hard on the carpet.

About two weeks ago, we had a 4x12 area of laminate installed in the master bedroom--from doorway to entry to the bathroom. It has made a big difference in the ease with which the wheelchair moves. Fortunately, all the doorway openings are 36" wide, which allows wheelchairs to pass thru without difficulty.

It is hard for wheelchairs to go over carpeting; that's a fact! (IMO)

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 8:31AM
sushipup1

What about using clear plastic runners where the rug meets the hardwood? It might be easier to roll up the runners when he isn't visiting.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 12:10AM
More Discussions
how do i tell sil i am not taking her dm
MIL lived near us for years and years. She about drove...
caminnc
RX Relief Discount Card
I phoned the number on the card and the recorded greeting...
Grampy_Mark
Do you ever have a day that just goes well?
Today was one of those days. I was at mom's to get...
junebug1961
Sundowning
Please forgive me if this has already been covered...
hoovergal
After 40 Years
40 years have passed, average age 81, and she is in...
mxyplx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™