Convection steam + single oven, or double oven???

kdsetFebruary 7, 2013

Help! I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster -

We have to finalize our appliances for our new home, and I am still torn - do I skip the 30" double oven that we'd originally planned on and instead get a Wolf single L-series plus the Wolf steamer/convection?

Will I ever miss the extra space in the second oven?

I know that the steam ovens are fabulous - but.... I'm having trouble with the extra cost and the uncertainty about how much I'll really use it!

Advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redoingit

I have never missed double ovens. I love my combi oven, and encourage you to get it, assuming you cook and are adventurous with something new!

I only use my other oven about 6-10 times/year, seriously. The space in my Gagg combi is enough to cook any meats, gratins, egg dishes, brownies, cookies, pies, cakes, etc. Because it heats up so quickly, I hardly ever use my large oven (except for big gatherings and holiday baking).

I wanted to pair mine with a wall oven (I also had a history of double 30" wall ovens), but at the time there was not a 30" wall oven that looked good stacked with it, so I opted for a range and combi is alone in the wall.

Good luck in your selections!

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 7:44PM
eleena

It probably depends on your family size and how much you cook and entertain.

For me, it was a no-brainer. I have never even considered double-ovens. But if you have a family of 10 and plus more on weekends, it might be a different story...

GL!

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 8:07PM
barryv_gw

Unless you are using all the racks on a single oven now, I would go one combi, and one wall oven ( or range). Try to think of the things you cook on a regular basis, and how often your regular oven is half full or less. I use the combi oven much more than the regular oven.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:07PM
decolisa

Like the others, I use end up using the combi as the main oven. I woudl go one wall oven + combi. Think about how you actually cook. Sure, it's nice to have a bigger oven than a combi, but only if you really think you will regularly fill it up. Even if you have a roast in the bigger oven, you probably don't need your second oven to be the same size.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 11:31AM
sitelifer

I also wouldn't trade my combo steam oven. I use it more than my regular oven.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 2:58PM
Minker

We also use our steam oven more than the regular oven. It heats up faster than the main oven and is great for reheating left overs without drying them out.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 5:03PM
kdset

Thanks everyone - very helpful info! Combi-steam plus wall oven it is!

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
Masterchef options for Miele speed oven
I have played around with a Miele combi steam oven...
barbja99
Need advice on combining induction and gas
This is my first post. Please forgive the length or...
jdsb2
New Bertazzoni Induction Range?
I just saw a press release from Bertazzoni about a...
ltislander
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
Removal of Dishwasher Detergent Build-Up
I have a Miele dishwasher in a rental unit that has...
dimond
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™