ID- Vintage/retro 10 inch brass lamp? Danish Modern?

west4meNovember 1, 2011

I can't even figure out what to call this other than a lamp :) No markings, took it apart to check. Hardware has been replaced. Feels Danish Modern, 50's-60's?

I can't figure out what to search for so I can't find any information online.

The lamp is 10 inches tall, the base is cast iron/pot metal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What hardware has been replaced? Is it brass? is the inside painted white?
I wouldn't call it Danish Modern....not really refined enough for that....more MCM stuff.
Linda C

    Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 5:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank you for asking such pointed questions. I believe the the lamp is aluminum with a brass finish. The inside is tinted with age but I think it is unfinished aluminum.

The socket, cord, and switch were replaced.

    Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 6:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Does it hold a magnet?
Thing is....the stuff that dates a lamp have been replaced.
Perhaps we will just have to say "it is what it is"....and let it go at that.

    Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 7:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Nope, magnet doesn't stick. Any estimate on date? or what to call it? Chalice lamp? Cup lamp? Just can't seem to narrow down my search results.

    Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 8:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Tabletop torchiere?

    Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 10:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Might be meant to be put up on top of a tall piece of furniture, or maybe to be attached to the ceiling to shine down? Does it swivel or turn? Can the base be taken apart?

Karin L

    Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 2:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

At present, that form is called an uplight. Don't know what they called it 50 years past.

    Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 7:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think it is a variation of the type of lamp that was placed on top of a television set to create some ambient light bounced off the ceiling. All the other room lights would be turned off to avoid reflections on the screen and heighten contrast. --From back in the era of black and white sets

Here is a link that might be useful: TV Lamps.

    Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 5:25PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Antique/Retro Fridge Loud Vibration noise
My retro 1946 Frigidaire fridge started making very...
Tina Jansen
Rosenthal China Pattern?
I stumbled upon this fine china bowl by Rosenthal,...
Ideas about this vase/bottle?
Hello! I recently discovered this great forum and am...
Help identifying a vase?
Does anyone know anything about this vase.It has no...
Melissa Mcintosh
Help with age and materials of chair
I just purchased this chair, used, with the idea of...
Sponsored Products
House of Troy 5" Wide Bronze Finish Plug-in Picture Light
$47.00 | Lamps Plus
Missoula One-Light Bronze Swag Pendant Lamp
$118.00 | Bellacor
Athena Three-Light Brushed Nickel Semi-Flush Mount with Matte Opal Glass
$118.00 | Bellacor
Framing Projector Model No. 008FP by WAC Lighting
$53.50 | Lumens
ORE International Lamps 13 in. Ceramic Green Table Lamp 609GN
$25.95 | Home Depot
Jonathan Adler | Capri Torchiere Table Lamp
$209.00 | YLighting
Bedroom Lamp: 1-Light 31 in. Hourglass Candlestick Lamp 684-32836
Home Depot
Cardinal Mirrored Glass Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™