Air Purifiers

CA KateOctober 16, 2013

Do any of you have any experience with any of the several air purifiers that also kill germs, bacteria, and mold? I read up on what to look for, but don't know which to choose since all their ads sound equal. Since it's for a bedroom it needs to be quiet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

I don't know about air purifiers, but if they work with moisture or filters they can be dangerous. I read an article about dehumidifiers. It said they are dangerous if you are don't clean them regularly and thoroughly. The stuff that accumulate inside them grows.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 4:46PM
marie_ndcal

You might check with a larger medical supply store. They may not carry them but can give you some suggestions. Or if you have a part of your medical group that issues oxygen, c-pap machines etc, they might have some ideas also.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 11:04AM
dreamgarden

You might want to read this article before you purchase an air purifier. We bought two of them from the Sharper Image a number of years back and returned them after learning they can be harmful. Not sure what the solution is, but first do no harm!

Ozone Generators Create Home Smog
Air Purifiers That Produce Ozone May Be Hurting Your Health (continued)

A link that might be useful:

http://www.webmd.com/news/20060511/ozone-generators-home-smog?page=2

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 10:44AM
sunnyca_gw

I had an Ozone type, used it about a yr, I didn't get any better, in fact I think I was worse so stopped using it. It did deposit "dirt" on fridge, it was across from it, I moved it once to another room & wall opposite it got "dirt" too & took lot of scrubbing to get rid of, I think it was actually making the "dirt" as didn't have any after I got rid of it. I wrote on another one of these posts about GF that had allergies bad also & she tried several & none stayed plugged in for more than a month.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 2:50AM
CA Kate

Just reporting in: after a good amount of research I bought an Airocide that was created to clean the air on the space station. I put it in my bedroom for a test run and found that it cleared the air within a week and continues to improve the air daily. Today I bought two more, one for DH's bed room and one for the living room.

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 11:47PM
More Discussions
Practical Christmas gifts
the elderly in our family have all the tee shirts,...
bossyvossy
Mom with dementia upset about move
Hi everyone, My 83 year old mother was diagnosed with...
netty_73
RX Relief Discount Card
I phoned the number on the card and the recorded greeting...
Grampy_Mark
Mom fell 3 times in 2 weeks
My 90 y.o. mother lives in the independent side of...
patrice607
Lack of Social Graces
My Mother with middle stages Dementia has developed...
hoovergal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™