Thermador - help please (clicking sound)

backfromtokyoFebruary 11, 2013

GW has been such a great resource...a complete lifesaver. This is my first post and I am down to the final decisions on my appliane choices.

I have a question about Thermador. I was going to buy the GE Monogram 36" gas range (6 burner ) but I want to take advantage of their rebates and would need to get either their hood insert or dishwasher...neither of which seem to get very good reviews.

So I am now considering Thermador as my second choice. The one thing that has me staying away from Thermador is the clicking sound on the low simmer.. My appliance guy said that has been fixed but I am not so sure I believe him. Has anyone recently purchased a Thermador and can they let me know if this problem has been fixed at all.

Thx so much in advance.
Melinda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jellytoast

I was at a showroom Saturday and this is what I was told about the simmer setting on the Thermador ... there are multiple adjustments to the simmer setting. The highest simmer does not tick. As you adjust the simmer down, that's when the ticking comes into play. The setting of the simmer determines how often the burner shuts itself off and then turns itself on again, which causes it to tick, tick, tick as it re-lights. There are a number of seconds between each re-lighting, and depending on which simmer hash-mark you have the burner set to, the time between the tickings will be more or less. The reasoning, according to the rep, is to prevent scorching, even if left unattended for a long time. So, if you don't want it to tick, set the burner to the highest simmer. If you don't care if it ticks, you can adjust it lower and lower yet.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 5:17PM
alex9179

Hahaha! All I hear is Henry Cho, with his southern twang, saying "What's that clickin' noise?"

I'm sorry I can't help, but I thank you for a giggle :)

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 5:51PM
jakvis

I've been a servicer for Thermador for some time and the extra low simmer turns the flame off and on based on a 60 second cycle. At the lowest setting the flame is on for about 7 seconds and then shuts off for 53 seconds. you will hear about 2 light clicks as the burner relights. At the highest extra low setting the flame is on about 53 seconds and off for 7 seconds. All the settings in between work are timed somewhere between what I mentioned.
Thermador has used this system for around 20 years and the latest version of it has been in use about 6-7 years. It's pretty bulletproof any more.

My customers rave about it's abilities with cheese sauces and chocolate.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 7:17PM
More Discussions
wall ovens - Wolf M Series, Gaggenau, or Bosch Benchmark
I am desperately trying to make a decision about my...
riese1
New Bluestar RCS model - Any Info? (RCS366BV2)
Most of the 36" RCS models are RCS36IRV1 right...
kwest2
hood suggestions for 36" 6 burner bluestar?
i have searched til my fingers are blue for a 36"...
lilmagil1
760 cfm vs 900 cfm
I purchased a 36 Jenn Air (6 burners) range. I doubt...
abick2
Any thoughts about Bosch and GE Profile appliances?
I am building a passive house and trying to choose...
di77ce
Sponsored Products
Thermador 9127 External Range Hood Blower - 9127
Hayneedle
Thermador 9127 Range Hood Roof Mounting Kit - RFPLTFU9127
$239.99 | Hayneedle
Thermador Range Hood Wall Switch - FU9116
$116.00 | Hayneedle
Thermador 9129 External Range Hood Blower - 9129
Hayneedle
Thermador 9128 Range Hood Roof Mounting Kit - RFPLTFU9128
$229.99 | Hayneedle