How to thank nursing home staff?

alisandeOctober 19, 2005

My husband died this week after two years in a nursing home. I'm not sure of the best way to thank the staff, in particular four nurses who gave me updates several times a day for the past few weeks. Individual notes? Individual gifts? One gift for all the staff on the unit? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fairegold

Oh, Susan, I am so sorry to hear this news. I know it's been a long road for you. My greatest condolences.

As for the staff, I'd check with the administration at the nursing home. There may be rules about employees accepting gifts; I know there are rules against this at Mother's assisted living complex. A personal note would surely be appreciated, and a note to the office about the compassion and skill of these staff members will be nice, too, because it might go on their records as a recommendation when raise time comes around.

Great hugs, Susan.

Helene

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 3:35PM
lasershow

Susan,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I would suggest food as a good choice -- perhaps send a nice basket with chocolates, fruit, etc. And by all means, send personal notes. I finally sent a note to one aide who had taken wonderful care of my mother. I couldn't do it until nearly a year after Mom died, but I know she still worked there and I'm sure it was appreciated.

Last week I ran into the charge nurse on the 3-11 shift, in a Target store. She recognized me immediately -- I had to stop and think for a moment. She gave me a big hug and I told her that I think of everyone often, but simply can't come back to visit -- it's too painful for me. I also told her that I really appreciated what she did and that I know I didn't always agree with her, but I can see now that she is very good at what she does.

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 3:36PM
eandhl

Please accept my Sincere Sympathy. At such a difficult time how kind of you to think about the staff that cared for your husband. Individual notes are treasured. A fruit basket or home baked cookies is also appreciated to the home or wing where he was cared for. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Bookmark   October 20, 2005 at 10:17AM
HomeMaker

Susan, I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Certainly a gift to be shared amongst all the staff members is always appreciated.

If there were any nurses or staff members who were especially helpful or supportive for yourself or your husband, I think a small token of your appreciation and a note would be appropriate as well.

Again, please accept my condolences.

Bookmark   October 23, 2005 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
Any suggestions for boosting energy?
My 90 year old mom is still pretty sharp but she is...
patrice607
Medicare and Fully Electric Hospital Beds
I have a prescription from my mom's doctor for a fully...
patrice607
Mom with dementia upset about move
Hi everyone, My 83 year old mother was diagnosed with...
netty_73
Severe dementia in several weeks
This is my first post to Caregivers. I'm not comfortable...
Roodles123
Caretaker of a different sort...
Hi all, new to this forum, but not garden web. Reading...
brodyjames_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™