Are appliances from Lowes, Best Buy inferior?

mcfromctFebruary 25, 2013

If I see the identical appliance with the same exact item # from different stores, can I assume they are made the same? If I buy it at Lowes or Best Buy vs an appliance store is it somehow inferior on the inside? The price can sometimes be hundreds of dollars less...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

Same thing. Better sales. :) Sears, too.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 4:16PM
jellytoast

The price you see on the stickers at an appliance store are not necessarily the price you will pay, but will be "discounted" at the time of sale. I've found that most stores offer a price match guarantee and will refund the difference if you find a better price within a few weeks of purchase.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 6:01PM
mcfromct

Didn't think of that but I bet you're right jellytoast.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 7:14PM
jakvis

Sometimes the products sold in the "Big Box" stores are slightly de-featured from the same product you would buy in the local appliance store. A d/w rack may offer less adjustability, the control settings may not have some cycles. but the main mechanicals will be the same.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 7:26PM
julieboulangerie

I usually (4 times in the last year in a replacement binge!) walk into my local appliance store knowing what appliances I am considering and price them out on AJM, Lowes Sears, and Home Depot. I really dislike that the local shop doesn't list the "price you actually pay" anywhere, but when the price quotes do come, they're competitive, and sometimes even cost less than the Boxes and Online. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I have never had to ask them to price match. I also like that I have a local salesman to fix things that don't go well. Local store botched delivery of a dryer, sent a washer the second time, and finally got it right the third time. I was going to complain and ask for a refund of the delivery fee, but a refund arrived before I was able to even complain!

Contrast that to an experience at Lowe's, where an LG refrigerator was delivered to a friend with a large dent in the door. They tried to refuse delivery, delivery guys tried to convince them that they wouldn't notice it (they would, it was awful!).

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 8:38PM
Fori is not pleased

(If it requires installation, the guys working for the big box stores are less likely to give a rat's patootie compared to an appliance store installer.)

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 9:19PM
mcfromct

Went to a contractors appliance store today and am happy to say the prices were very competitive- most were less than big box stores. Couldn't believe it. Thank you all for your responses!

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 1:35PM
More Discussions
Any thoughts about Bosch and GE Profile appliances?
I am building a passive house and trying to choose...
di77ce
ELECTROLUX ICON FREESTANDING DUAL-FUEL RANGE or KITCHEN AID
I am about to purchase a dual –fuel, 30 “freestanding...
AreBe
Capital Culinarian oven latch
My wife and I have a nearly new 36" self clean...
fredbarber
Buy 2 individual wall ovens or one 2 oven wall unit?
Hi - I'm looking for appliances for a house we will...
oaptechgirl
Wall oven caution - IKEA/Nutid/Datid/Whirlpool
This post is meant to steer people away from IKEA Nutid,...
detroit_burb
Sponsored Products
WAC InvisiLED Pro 2 White 12" Wide 2700K Tape Light
Euro Style Lighting
Flex Table Lamp
| Italy Design
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Burst of Flowers
Home Depot
ALFI AB2013 Single Handle Pull Down Kitchen Faucet - AB2013
$306.00 | Hayneedle
Crystorama Cut Crystal 20" Wide Chrome Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus