Confused about something...

carrie630October 13, 2010

what else is new? I am very confused about all of the "rules" concerning assets:

Example: What happens if you have a small house, fully furnished house that you own and you have to go into a nursing home... what happens to the furniture, etc. inside?

in other words, my parents live miles away - let's say it is determined that they have to go into assisted living and then funds run out - but they still have their house, with the furniture. While they are in assisted living, do we sell the stuff, give it away, etc. and account for the money in case they go into Medicaid nursing home - when assisted living money runs out?

See my confusion? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

I think you are putting the cart before the horse. IF the situation arises, I suggest you talk to an attorney.

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 12:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
falldowngobump

Talking to an attorney is a wonderful idea...I don't think you are getting ahead of yourself at all. Looking back (it's so easy to look back now) I WISH we had discussed all the "ifs" with the family. It would have been so much better if we had formulated a plan of some sort concerning my inlaws, their financial situation, legalitys concerning the property and so on. It's been a struggle to try to make the right choices about things. I suggest talking to your parents first regarding what their preferences would be and then possibley talking to the lawyer about the best legal steps to take "just in case". I've had my MIL for 3 years now, I'm home with her fulltime as her caregiver. It's impossible for me to leave her to take care of anything....and my husband has to take a day from work to handle the least little thing. (and after 3 years, those little things keep popping up, believe me). Be prepared--I so wish we had been better prepared to deal with all this.

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
Caretaker of a different sort...
Hi all, new to this forum, but not garden web. Reading...
brodyjames_gw
Just passing some info on.
Maybe this will help someone else. Took us a long time...
cathyid
how do i tell sil i am not taking her dm
MIL lived near us for years and years. She about drove...
caminnc
Need some good thoughts
I have been at the KT for many years,and think that...
sandiefl
Medicare & Lidocaine Patches
My 90 y.o. mom has been using Lidocaine patches for...
patrice607
Sponsored Products
Alessi | SG63 W Electric Citrus Squeezer
$204.00 | YLighting
Jive Highback Office Chair in Terracotta
$199.00 | LexMod
Milano Provincial Gold Single Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Silly Putty Classic Trellis Adhesive Wallpaper
$42.99 | zulily
Plaques Polished Brass Plaque Exit Brass 7 1/16'' W | 17118
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.