No Tolerance for Noise

mimi427September 3, 2005

I'm wondering if there's anyone here that is dealing with this problem. My mom (who has Alz) has NO tolerance whatsoever for noise of any kind, except her television. She's 83 and her hearing is GREAT. I believe the problem is that in order for her to focus on what she's "watching" on TV, she closes her eyes, to better concentrate. Then, when there's a sound in the room, it startles her and she goes off, whether it's me, or my dogs or my DH. It's really beginning to irritate me and I don't know how to handle it. I got really ticked off the other nite, just had it, and told her I simply cannot keep the house absolutely quiet for her 24 hours a day. I only ended up upsetting her, then of course I felt lousy. Anyone dealing with anything like this?

Mimi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barker_tx

can you get her to wear 'headphones'? that would bloct out the ambient noise. carolyn

Bookmark   September 3, 2005 at 11:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momj47

Don't feel lousy, you are doing an heroic job.

Is she in her own room or in the family/living room? You may need to isolate her. She's not "watching" TV, she's probably lost in her own thoughts and the TV provides white noise. Can you find another kind of white noise that will block out the normal sounds of life that seem to bother her. Otherwise, you'll have to learn to block out her rants. (Yeah, right). A pat on the hand and a quick "Sorry" might work, but don't change your life, or you'll go crazy.

My mother got this way, and my dad was able to cope by giving a nod and a reassurance to her, until she started to get physical, then she went to the nursing home.

Good luck.

Bookmark   September 4, 2005 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
Medicare and Fully Electric Hospital Beds
I have a prescription from my mom's doctor for a fully...
patrice607
New to caregivers forum...
Hi, folks... I have been a Gardenweb member for eons,...
junebug1961
Medicare & Lidocaine Patches
My 90 y.o. mom has been using Lidocaine patches for...
patrice607
Do you ever have a day that just goes well?
Today was one of those days. I was at mom's to get...
junebug1961
Any Long Term Caregivers?
Hi, I would like to chat with caregivers of those with...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Sponsored Products
Jardin Thermal Lined 84 inch Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Artless | GAX 48 Dining Table
YLiving.com
Mont Blanc Kitchen NorthbrookDual Mount Composite Granite 25x22x9 1-Hole Single
Home Depot
Opal Printed Glass Clock Fixed with Silver Knobs
Overstock.com
Crank It Up Marquee
| Dot & Bo
Taupe Blackout Grommet Panel - Set of Two
$29.99 | zulily
Tech Lighting | Single-Feed 12V 500W Surface Transformer Two-Circuit MonoRail
$853.60 | YLighting
Steam Spa Oasis Package for Steam Spa 12kW Steam Generators in Oil Rubbed Bronze
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™