Replacing blades on sterling flatware

chibimimiNovember 9, 2012

I have a set of Wallace Carmel sterling flatware. The original blades on the knives are silverplate and have corroded badly. Can anyone recommend someone to replace these blades with stainless ones? Several places advertise this service, but I'm a bit hesitant to ship the knives off to persons unknown.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Let me know when you find someone....I have some too.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 10:11PM
antiquesilver

I've never had any done for the same reason.

I experimented on a few of my worst ones when I bought a couple of premium antique knives for pennies on the dollar because of the corroded blades & I didn't think I could hurt the blades. I cleaned the blades with 0000 steel wool (primarily the cutting edge) to remove the rust/corrosion/bubbled plate & then lightly coated with mineral oil. Much improved - the blades aren't silvery but they don't disgrace the table, either. Since then I haven't thought about having them replaced. Also, I find the carbon steel blades to be much sharper than the stainless replacements.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 10:39PM
lindac

Please post a picture of your "fixed blades"...Did you remove all the silver plate? And is it carbon steel underneath?

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 11:47PM
antiquesilver

Linda, I'll charge my camera & try to get a photo posted on Sunday. As I recall I removed as little silver plate as possible but corrosion & wear had already done a pretty good job before I got to it. The blades are steel although perhaps I mispoke about the carbon part; actually, I thought carbon steel was what all old blades were made of.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 12:33AM
antiquesilver

Reed & Barton's Les Cinq Fleurs, patented 1900

4 dinner knives The one on the left was purchased separately from a different seller & has an acceptable blade.

The 3 'bad' blades

The worst blade has a chewed up cutting edge as well as severe pitting that would take something more aggressive than 0000 steel wool to fix; mostly, it lives at the bottom of the silver chest. The 2nd one still has one spot of deep corrosion but is much smoother than it used to be. The 3rd one doesn't look too bad but you can still feel some slight bumpiness to the surface where there is underlying light corrosion. No matter how bad they look now, they're a lot better than they were when I got them.

These blades were heavily plated to begin with & I think the plate loss due to steel wool was minimal although the sheen is now more of a satin finish than before.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
help identifying antique table
I found this table at an estate sale for 45 dollars....
moya0311
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
jerome_shorter
Antique Bell evaluation
Hi, I have this antique bell. Can anyone tell me what...
Shay Yakobi
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Dones
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™