Slide-in gas range can't push back against the wall

eeecarusFebruary 4, 2013

Hi,

I bought a Whirlpool slide-in gas range from Lowe's and when I tried to install it the other day, I realized my gas supply valve is too high in the middle. The specification on the appliance asked the supply valve to be within 10 inches from the floor, but mine's about 15 inches above ground.
To move the gas line is very costly, the estimate I got was around 300-500 dollars. One cheap alternative I can do is remove the rear panel on range, which I believe is the "service panel". It covers about 70% of the range and it sticks out 3 inches, without it, my gas supply valve can sit comfortibly behind the range. Underneath the sheet metal, it's got a fan towards the top and some wires around it. There's also a metal tubing that looks like a gas line from supply to the stove portion of the range.
What do you guys think? Is this safe to do?
Another option I was told to do was to cut the drywall and turn the supply valve 90 degrees so it's flush with the drywall.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
llaatt22

Sound like great ideas.
Run them past your local building inspector's office.
They have tons of real life experience to offer.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 4:10PM
eeecarus

Hey thanks for the reply laat2, which one is a great idea? Remove the service panel? Or turn the valve 90 degrees into the drywall? Thanks.

Edit: I mis-read it. Thanks, I'll run them both by building inspectors.

This post was edited by eeecarus on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 16:55

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 4:46PM
weissman

Slide-in ranges aren't supposed to be flush with the back wall - there's supposed to be a strip of countertop behind the range that the lip of the range rests on as with the sides. That's what makes it a slide-in rather than free-standing.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 5:25PM
doc8404

Removal of the the back panel will, in my opinion, void your warranty.

To wit: Items excluded from warranty 3. Repairs when your major appliance is used for other than normal, single-family household use or when it is used in a manner that is contrary to published user or operator instructions and/or installation instructions.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 8:41PM
eeecarus

Weiss - sorry I didn't make it clear, I'm having problem pushing the range in with the piece of granite on the back sized according to installation manual.

Doc - thanks, although I think it's impossible for them to tell I removed the panel. It's only screwed down by two screws and no warranty stickers.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:46PM
weedmeister

I would not remove the panel. It may be a safety item. That is, it prevents excess heat from the back from burning down your house.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 2:07PM
athensmomof3

Ditto about the panel - I would worry about a fire hazard either because heat escapes or dust enters into the interior of the appliance.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 2:10PM
weissman

Your second option of cutting the drywall and running the pipe downward seems a much better option.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 2:10PM
eeecarus

Bad news for me, after cutting the drywall, I realized I can't just turn the el pipe 90 degrees... any suggestions?

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 2:04AM
djlandkpl

Disclaimer: I'm not a plumber or gas fitter and would not DIY a gas line.

You could disconnect everything to the right of the stud, rotate the elbow so it points down, then add pipe to get the valve to the right height. The fittings and pre-cut pipe are available at stores.

Now that the line is visible, you should be able to get a better estimate on having a pro do the work.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 9:03AM
weedmeister

It would make me nervous to see electrical lines without their outer insulation wrapping that close to a gas line.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 1:51PM
eeecarus

Thank you guys. I hired a plumber to do the work! It made me too nervous to do this myself.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Coffee Machines
What is the best built in coffee machine for your buck?...
J Saleh
Need a second oven/micro combo for island installation/under counter
We are getting ready to remodel our kitchen and were...
ksdeclue
Bluestar platinum vs Capital Culinarian
We are deciding on kitchen appliances for our upgrade...
malba2366
Best dishwasher with a heated dry option?
Does anyone have recommendations for a dishwasher that...
My4thGarden
Wall oven caution - IKEA/Nutid/Datid/Whirlpool
This post is meant to steer people away from IKEA Nutid,...
detroit_burb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™