O'Keefe and Merritt stove: date?

socalsisNovember 17, 2009

I've just acquired my first O'Keefe and Merritt stove, and am fascinated at the numbers of different models and types there are out there. I have never found one that looks like mine; I know a photo would help but it's currently inaccessible while it's in transition.

I think it must be early 60's. It's a white 36" range with an oven on the right side, with a window in the door, and broiler; the other side is storage. NO Grillevator. It has 4 burners and central griddle. The low back is glass-fronted, with geometrical designs; there's a square clock incorporated into the glass design on the right, and the O'K and M logo is worked into the design on the left.

In all of my searching I've never seen one with the kind of glass 'backsplash'(??) as mine has. Does anyone have any information about this late model O'Keefe and Merritt?

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope

Some of the old models had folding a folding glass shelf in back, are you sure the glass is a backsplash? If it is a fold-down shelf, then it's the DeVille series.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 5:33PM
kathleenca

I was just told by a service person from Antique Stove Heaven in Los Angeles that the folding glass shelf started in 1958-1959 & continued into the 1960s.

Here is a link to a search in Google. Many of the sites have photos of the OK&M stoves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search on O'Keefe and Merritt

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 5:49PM
socalsis

Here is a pic of my stove. The glass "backsplash" (what's that called on a stove??) is not part of a folding shelf-- it's firmly fixed in place.

Any help with identifying year and model would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 4:25PM
texasredhead

For many years, I managed regional distribution centers for Tappan Appliance Co. Tappan aquired O'Keefe and Merritt, a California based company sometime around 1960. The gas range pictured, and similar models, were actually produced into the early 70s. I suspect the OPs range dates into the mid-60s. There should be a plate on the range, perhaps on the back, that gives the model number. It might be something similar to 1046-00.

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 10:07AM
allenbaca_gmail_com

I cannot find my model of stove anywhere. it has 4 burners and storage on the right side.I believe the model is a sculpture series.

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
Need help identifying this lamp.
Please see the picture below. The lamp was originally...
Chuck Wert
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
Antique Bell evaluation
Hi, I have this antique bell. Can anyone tell me what...
Shay Yakobi
Assistance regarding Lofisa Porcelain
Can anyone shed some light on this piece? I bought...
imaztribabe
W H Grindley Satin White
Can someone help me to identify the pattern? The stamp...
TulipWoolf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™