Installing undercabinet wine fridge in old oven cab

bandjo97February 16, 2012

Hi there,

We are remodeling a portion of our kitchen and part of this process is removing our old, dinky 24" wall oven from the wall cabinet.

Since we are getting new cabs for bigger oven, this leaves behind a perfectly sized spot to hold a wine refrigerator (according to my husband).

I don't see that it would be a problem, but wondered if anyone else has done this or has any input. We are looking at the Elux wine fridge that should fit pretty well. (But it's advertised as "undercabinet").

Also, is there any opinion about the wine fridge vs the beverage fridge? Does one make more sense than the other?

I know that the wine fridge shouldn't be used as wine storage, yet I'm not sure if (other than the summer time) we will use it to its capacity.

Anyway - any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaseki

Normally, a wine fridge (Perlick uses the term wine reserve) is used for wine storage. Some have one temperature and others have layered temperatures for different types of wines. A beverage fridge is basically a refrigerator designed to chill beverages to relatively cold temperatures (colder than tannic red wines want for aging, anyway).

There is at least one recent thread addressing this subject in more detail that you may wish to search out.

"Undercabinet" _may_ refer to the finish on the top and sides, that is, you only get pretty stainless steel on the front. This may vary with manufacturer.

kas

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 11:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

Built in fridges rest on the floor in between two cabinets. This means that to build it into the oven cabinet the opening has to be pretty exactly 24", and the oven platform may need to be stained or otherwise finished out in order to look right in the recessed toe area that will now be sitting on the platform. You may have room left over vertically, which you could also finish out and install wine glass racks onto the underside of a newly installed drawer box to have a pull out wine glass rack below with corkscrews and other paraphernalia in the shallow drawer above.

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
essentials you can't live without in your front load washing machine?
I am trying to purchase a new washing machine for our...
abick2
Hood Decision - Zephyr vs Kobe
I need to make a decision on a hood to put over a 36"...
michfbgal
Any Opinions on the JennAir Steam Oven or other steam/conv oven?
I'm looking for opinions on the JennAir Steam and Convection...
seb225
Finish Detergent
Has anyone tried the new Finish Quantum Max 12X pacs?...
sparky823
Anyone have a Jenn-Air 48' range?
Hello, I was ready to buy a 48" DCS 5-burner w/griddle...
susan3733
Sponsored Products
Sample-nexus Cayman Blue Random Glass Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Cambridge Harbor Gray Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Minka Lavery | San Francisco Ceiling Fan
$599.95 | YLighting
Concept Housewares Stainless Steel Espresso Finish Wall Rack
Overstock.com
Antique Wood Base Floor Lamp With White Linen Shade
ParrotUncle