identifying gold bracelet

kate38November 12, 2012

I have a bracelet marked R.M.P.18K. Does anyone know what that means? It's a relatively heavy bangle with chiseled or stamped design and chain guard.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

sounds like it means it's 18 K gold....and the maker is R. P. M.
But 18 K would be unusual for a bangle with a chain guard...too soft, the chain would break and the bracelet would bend. So I think it's some sort of Metal Plating....but I can't figure what the R stands for.
that's a guess....knowing where you got the bracelet and how old it is would also help.
Linda c

    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 12:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks, Linda. I thought metal plated when I saw the M.P. part, but can't figure out the "R" either. It belonged to one of three deceased relatives, one died in 1970, one in 1983 and the other just this year. I'm sure it's at least 20 years old and could be as old as 100 years, although the style looks contemporary. The surface is flat and the design is an elongated x repeated around the entire surface.

    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 1:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Dpoes it open with a slice sort of mechanism?

    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 3:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My mother had (and I now have) a set of bangles that were her mother's/aunt's/grandmother's gold bracelets and one of them is extremely soft. So much so that the clasp has trouble staying closed, and it is dented and slightly distorted. My mother lost that one and found it over a year later, driving by a friends house she saw it in the grass at the edge of the road. This one is circa 1905 (dated and monogrammed) and looks extremely contemporary. Her grandmother's are so tiny that only child can wear them now, although we have a picture of her wearing them as an adult.

    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 3:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes, it opens with a slice sort of mechanism, similar to some mechanisms of today, but it doesn't have the kind of hinged piece for security that some of today's gold bracelets have, only the chain.

    Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 3:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I finally had a chance to take it to a jeweler and was told that RMP means "rolled metal plate." He can't figure out why it also says 18K because there's no 18K in it.

    Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 2:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

RMP Royal Mounted Police? Is this a Canadian piece?

    Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 2:18AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Antimassacars and tablecloth
I found a cache of embroidered and lace furniture accessories...
Home Design Show in NYC
click to win tickets
Antique/Retro Fridge Loud Vibration noise
My retro 1946 Frigidaire fridge started making very...
Tina Jansen
Age of this brass "hog scraper" candle holder?
Any idea on the age of this brass "hog scraper"...
Ideas about this vase/bottle?
Hello! I recently discovered this great forum and am...
Sponsored Products
Salma Area Rug - 2'3" x 8'
Grandin Road
Dale Tiffany Peony Gold 34" High Art Glass Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
"Boullion" Finials Set of Two
$80.00 | Horchow
Arteriors Home - Monte Carlo Lamp - DR12036-610
Great Furniture Deal
Jacquard Chenille Full-Sized Futon Cover Set with Dunes Pattern
Crackled Reminiscent Countryside V Wall Art
$289.00 | FRONTGATE
Gold Floret Brayden Rug
$19.99 | zulily
Autumn Twilight 13" Wide Mystic Gold Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™