Ideas for Refinish/Restore Deco-Moderne Bedroom Needed

detroit_burbNovember 13, 2012

I wanted to thank the responders to my original thread on this topic

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/antiques/msg0921290130082.html?11

I have lightly sanded off what appears to be a poorly done more recent shellac with an amber cast, this shellac encased some earlier damage. I don't believe the original finish was amber. No new damage was done with sanding.

Here is where I am now - pictures below. I don't know whether to just recoat with blonde shellac at this point, or to just paint with high quality paint because of the damage pictured. I am not sure how to fill in the damage, if I paint, I may just paint over it. I am also not quite sure of choice of coatings - brands and types.

The style would look good painted or refinished. The purpose is my infant daughter's room, and I am hoping this to be her long term furniture, i.e. I don't intend on a baby furniture look, rather a classic look. There are two other pieces not pictured, a night table and vanity (which is in the linked post), but my first concern is being able to put her clothes away, and have a functional guest bed.

All comments are welcome... Thank-you all!!

Tall Dresser post sanding, still dusty

Tall Dresser damage

Tall Dresser Damage

Headboard, not sanded, note amber cast

Headboard damage

Headboard Damage

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chibimimi

That's not damage -- that's patine!

I would simply shellac, lacquer, or varnish it first. Some of the "damage" will disappear. The chipped drawers do not bother me at all.

If you then decide you cannot tolerate the flaws, you could later paint it. The additional layer of shellac would make it easier to strip the paint later, should you change your mind.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 11:31PM
lindac

The "damage" to the headboard will be covered by the bedding....and the small nicks in the drawers are as Chibi saya "patina".
If you paint it, it will look like something you got in a thrift shop, and painted...or that was already painted. If you coat it with a clear coat, it will look like a classic Hollywood deco set.
And I would use varnish as it's harder wearing than either shellac or lacquer....and probably is what was originally on the set.
Can't wait to see the finished product....but please don't paint it!!
Linda C

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 1:43PM
Fori is not pleased

I agree--it's fine! Maybe get a really light stain pen for the spots that are light on the top part of the headboard so they don't stick out as much, then use a nice hard finish like Linda suggests. Kids are hard on things. :)

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
Tapestry
Hi there, my husband and I inherited this tapestry...
colleen3684
Rosenthal China Pattern?
I stumbled upon this fine china bowl by Rosenthal,...
lana_roma
Antique/Retro Fridge Loud Vibration noise
My retro 1946 Frigidaire fridge started making very...
Tina Jansen
Age of this brass "hog scraper" candle holder?
Any idea on the age of this brass "hog scraper"...
bradleyd_svh
Sponsored Products
Paley Chair - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Steve Madden Harlow Cotton Comforter Set with Decorative Pillow - 202276
$116.99 | Hayneedle
Chatham Headboard
Grandin Road
RION Furniture - Empire Chest in Pale - GDRE161P
Great Furniture Deal
Catalina Extension Table by Copeland Furniture
$3,374.00 | Lumens